What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Vans complete wiring Kit for RV-10?

ivanjr

I am considering the finished harness sold at Vans; ES WH 10 KIT I(O)-540.
Does anyone have any experiences with this kit, and what is and isn't included. I am working on QB Wings and didn't want to purchase redundant wiring if included in kit.
Also any thoughts about auto pilot installation now or later.
Any feedback appreciated.

Best thing about wiring kit for the -10 are the drawings that show the runs and the various hardware. I didn't use their kit but referred to their wire runs a couple of times to see how they routed things. You don't really need to worry much about it until you're working on the fuselage.

The autopilot servos can be purchased seperately from the controller (at least in the case of TruTrak) and while it's a lot easier to put the servo in the wing with the bottom skin off, it's certainly possible to do it after closing things up. The TruTrak roll servo comes with a replacement bracket for the aileron bellcrank and the servo mounts to the bracket. I don't remember the exact time to install, but it's something like 20-30 minutes with the bottom skin off. It would probably take a couple of hours with the skin on and having to work through the access panel.

Bob #40105

IMHO, get a copy of the wiring plans and judge for yourself.... I wired mine without the kit but the plans do give you some insight as to what is included and how Van's recommends to do it. I recommend installing your autopilot servos as you go along but not all that hard to do after, it is easier before the bottom skins go on the wing, aileron trim is also easier then if your planning that. I beleive Mike Howe has a list of contents on his site.

I had a copy of the plans but can't find the file....hard drives were so much easier to navigate before the gigabyte:p

Heres the link http://www.etigerrr.com/Wiring/OP37WiringHarness.htm

I used the plans from Van's, but wired the airplane myself. Van's harness is probably good if you want to put exactly the switches/breakers they give you and if you want to locate everything exactly where they put theirs. The plans were good to give ideas on where to run wires, etc. I also bought several of the wire guides/brackets that would have come with the kit because while I could have made them myself in a few hours, buying them was so much easier.

PJ Seipel
RV-10 #40032

re:price

I haven't bought my wiring kit yet, but a friend of mine is building a -10 & went with the Van's kit. I've seen what comes in the kit, & if you did a price comparison, buying everything separately, it's a pretty good deal. While you will probably want to add some things, in the kit you get the necessary (basic) wiring components needed to wire the -10 ie. wire, terminated on the ends, breakers, switches, etc. I'll buy the kit.
I'm using the Trio auto pilot, & will be installing the servo in the wing before attaching them to the fuse. I think it will be easier to do it while in the cradle, standing up than laying on my back on the floor reaching up.:eek: I'm working on the fuse now, riveting the cabin cover on. I'm finished with the wings but haven't wire them yet. I do have 2 conduits running the full length of both wings & see absolutely no problem or anything difficult about wiring them or installing the servo with the skins on. The access panel is actually quite large by comparison.
Good luck.

Marshall Alexander
RV10 fuse/cabin top
N781DM

Back