What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Vans Ball Cap - Fail

jliltd

Well Known Member
We just got back from Oshkosh. I always buy a new Van's ball cap from the Van's booth and it lasts me pretty well every year. This year I finally made it by the Van's booth on Thursday and bought a new ball cap. They are all black with a nice logo. $25. They were sold out of the ones without the top button for flying but I went ahead and bought the standard button version.

We got home from KOSH yesterday after an 8 hour flight. Today I tried on the hat and found it did not fit my head.

Unlike the previous hats the new version is made by a place called Boco. 100% polyester. Last year's were made by Richardson and were 100% cotton (yay!). For some reason on the new synthetic hat with the velcro let all the way out it is way way too small. Like it's a kids hat. The design is not logical as it has both hook an loops on the same adjustment strap and so can only go half way out before loosing the locking function. I decided to let it all the way out without velcro engagement and with it all the way out where the end it is ridiculously small. There is no marking indicating anything but standard sizing. The new hats are made in Vietnam and something tells me the population there have smaller heads than here in North America. I guess some bean counter found a cheaper solution than previous superior made hats. So it's $25 out the window but more importantly I don't get to wear my Vans hat anymore at the airport.

Not that this a big deal or anything but right when many of use are feeling leery after the whole Chapter 11 proceedings Van's shows up with useless hats at Oshkosh and charges full price. It's like the apparel wasn't getting QC'd which is not a good look after the whole laser-cut hole debacle.

Like I alluded to compared to those who lost money during the Vans reorganization I don't really have anything to complain about.

But come on. The official Van's hat? Is nothing sacred?

They were sold out of the ones without the top button for flying but I went ahead and bought the standard button version.
Bummer. The Vans' ball caps without the button on top are $13.25 and they are 100% cotton twill, at least according the Van’s Store page. Only Charcoal and Orange though.

Last edited:
Back