What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Vans AHRS mount for RV-10

RudiGreyling

Well Known Member
Has anyone got experience/photos of the AHRS mount vans sells for the RV10.

How close is it to the Battery and Pitch Autopilot Servo? I am concerned about the 'Electronic Compasses' included in some AHRS units being affected by those items in the same location.

Vans sell them: AHRS Mount Kit for the RV-10
Part Number = IF AHRS MOUNT-10
Price = $44.50

I don't want to pay $44.50 for a dud, so any experience will help.

Regards
Rudi

Mine works well

I have the AHRS from my Garmin 900X mounted on it in my RV10 and all works well.

Gary Specketer

AHRS Mount

I did not use Van's mount, however I did build a tray across the longarons behind the baggage compartment bulkhead and mounted my GRT AHRS and Magnameters there. Duel AHRS in the center and the magnameters far left and right. I thought I was getting some interferance and while at OSH2007 three of the GRT reps came out to the RV-10 from the booth to check it out (they said they needed a break anyway).

Their recommendation was to relocate the Magnameters to the wing tips. This seemed to solve the problem.

Has anyone got experience/photos of the AHRS mount vans sells for the RV10.

How close is it to the Battery and Pitch Autopilot Servo? I am concerned about the 'Electronic Compasses' included in some AHRS units being affected by those items in the same location.

Vans sell them: AHRS Mount Kit for the RV-10
Part Number = IF AHRS MOUNT-10
Price = $44.50

I don't want to pay $44.50 for a dud, so any experience will help.

Regards
Rudi

Rudi,
Here's a pic of what it looks like installed:
FP15092008A0001X.jpg

Can't speak to your operational questions as I don't have an AHRS yet.

Last edited:
I've got the AHRS mount and it works great for the GRT AHRS. I put my magnetometer in the aft end of the same bay but built a shelf suspended from the J channels. It sits just a couple inches below the cabin top and works great.

When selecting a location for the magnetometer I "mapped" out locations using a decent compass and there was clear interference at longeron height. As I recall, you needed to get at least a few inches higher than that (in that bay) to be free of detectable interference.

Bob
RV-10 N442PM

Rudi,
Here's a pic of what it looks like installed:
FP15092008A0001X.jpg

Can't speak to your operational questions as I don't have an AHRS yet.

Hi Tod,

Thanks a lot, that is what I was looking for...How is it supported underneath? It looks like the left bottom corner is hanging in the 'air'...it looks like it is only screwed to the Bell-crank tray and the tailcone bulkhead?

Thanks in advance,
Rudi

Last edited:
Rudi,
There's a rib under the long edge (opposite the bell crank tray)--it's quite sturdy. The aft edge has a flange and it is screwed to the F-1007 frame. I'll take some more pictures and post tonight after I get home.

AHRS mount

The location in this picture is the location specified by TruTrak for my pitch servo on my RV-10 and RV-7.

Negative. The Trutrak pitch servo is installed on the other side (right side) of the push rod. Here's an install photo right off the instuctions:
RV10PitchServo.jpg.w300h225.jpg

The AHRS shelf is on the left side of the pushrod.

True, but what does that servo do to your magnetometer? Moot point for me, as I have to deal with a host of antennae so there will almost certainly be a TCAS near there. Plus, I need room for an oxygen system, the ELT, and a FlightLine AirConditioning system. I'm already planning a wingtip magnetometer location.

Can't speak to the magnetometer interference issue, but the AHRS tray is designed (ie pre-drilled) for the Garmin (the one used with a 900--not sure if the G3X AHRS has the same hole pattern) and GRT AHRS. To the best of my knowledge neither has the built-in magnetometer so at least with those brands it's a non-issue.

Back