What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Vans 7A cowl

Jkkinz

Well Known Member
Does anyone happen to know what Van charges for his 7a cowls. It doesn't seem to be listed on the list and my search of the forum hasn't been fruitful either. I am thinking of going with the James cowl but first I need to get an idea of the cost difference.

Thanks

Jim Kinsey
7A Fuselage
Getting ready to order finish kit

I called them when I ordered my finishing kit and asked. I think it was around $800 (been a long time...sorry!).

But remember that Van's will not credit you the full new price of the cowl if you exclude it from your finish kit.

James Cowl

Can't remember actual figures but the net difference was less than $100 as I remember...Then the prop extension had to be added.

Looks nive though..:)

Frank

Van's Cowl

I was credited $794 when I deleted the cowl from my finishing kit, which I picked up 2 days ago.

resurrecting an old thread

Like many others, I'm getting close to the "Stock" vs. "James" cowling decision. I had a heck of a time finding the price of the "Stock Van's" cowl.

I found this tread and wanted to know two things :

1. Is $1100 still the price of the Van's Cowl ? The James site has their cowl listed at $950. Is that out dated ?

2. I plan on using a Lyc IO-360 A1A. What are the hidden costs if I go with the James cowl ? ie. prop spacer, more costly baffles, induction kit etc....

If it is only a few hundred bucks more to go with the James cowl then I will, but if it's going to be $500 - $600 more then forget it.

Thanks for you help,

Darren

PIREPs?

Any PIREPs on the difference between the stock VANs cowl vs Sam James Holy cowl and plenum? I have seen conflicting reports. Things I'm looking for are comparisons of:
ease of installation
issues with prop spacers
short vs long cowl
effects on performing aerobatics
effects on cooling
effects on speed
Any other aspects.
Thanks!

Last edited:
I'm in the middle of the SJ installation

I'm smack dab in the middle of my Sam James cowl installation. Here is a random list of random thoughts regarding it so far:

-It hasn't been difficult to install so far. It is tedious but I don't think it's any more of a pain than a stock cowl.

-The oil door install is a bit more difficult than stock only because Vans gives you a door and Sam James has you use the piece you cut out as the door. Still, it wasn't bad once you figure out how to go about it.

-The induction system is not included with the James cowl but it's only $65. Once again, it's not difficult but you have to sort of invent how you're going to mount it and that took a little time to think through. If you have somebody like me to share their experience you'll eliminate much of the head scratching. There is one builder's site that I've used that has helped me a lot.

-The cost of the cowl is close to the stock. If you elect to use the plenum (which you will) that I think is around $450. If you elect to use the long cowl, the prop extension for a fixed pitch is about $400 from these guys http://www.sabermfg.com/. Sam James also offers a shorty cowl which I think doesn't require an extension.

-I'm just starting the baffle work. I bought the Vans kit for $275 and I recommend that as a starting point. If you have a Dynafocal mount, I would think the mods required for fitting the SJ plenum aren't that extensive. If you have a conical mount like I have, the two rear baffles need to be reworked. I've just come to that realization last night. As far as cost delta, you'd be spending the $275 regardless if you use either cowl.

-I can't remember how much I was credited by leaving off the stock cowl but I think it was less than the cowl cost new just like somebody else said in this thread.

I've been working my cowl off and on since July so yes, it takes a long time but I think I've read that the stardard cowls can also take a long time too.

I hope to have lower drag and better cooling but there seems to be mixed results out there. Using a plenum just looks like the logical way to go though. Regardless, I think the looks are killer! If you get lower drag you should recoup the cost delta over time and with the cost of gas these days, it shouldn't take too long.

Build what you want because your grin will last much longer than the sting of the initial cost. I don't regret my decision at all.

Last edited:
Hey Kelly,

Thanks for taking the time to share your experiences with the SJ cowl. From what I've heard, the canopy and cowl installations are the most challenging parts of the build.

After spending all summer getting the Slider canopy done, I can't imagine anything being that tricky.... but I have yet to get a cowl :)

Stock or SJ cowl, it's going to be alot of work and since the costs are pretty close, then James cowl it is for me !

Thanks again,

Darren

I agree with everything Kelly said, except that mine didn't come with the induction system. I am using the Van's induction system for a carbed engine. I have the SJ shorty cowl, too.

As for performance, I think that's going to be a tough one to figure out unless someone has an airplane with each type of cowl. There are too many variations in builds to be able to pin better performance on the cowl.

In the end, with the plenum, I think the cost came out a couple hundred more for the SJ setup, but I think it looks better. :)

There are WAY more pin-holes on a Van's cowl than the SJ cowl...every time I see my hangar-mates cowl I gasp (OK, not really, but there are easily 5 times more pinholes in his pink cowl).

I agree with everything Kelly said, except that mine didn't come with the induction system.

I went back and checked on the Sam James site and sure enough, I remembered it wrong. The induction system was $65...next to nothing in airplane dollars.

Does anyone happen to know what Van charges for his 7a cowls. It doesn't seem to be listed on the list and my search of the forum hasn't been fruitful either. I am thinking of going with the James cowl but first I need to get an idea of the cost difference.

Thanks

Jim Kinsey
7A Fuselage
Getting ready to order finish kit

I'm in the final stages of completing my RV-7A, which I like to use the term "rigging" or as some put it "Firewall forward". If you like to figure things out on your own, and you like the looks of a James cowl, then either cowl will work for you. Otherwise, I suggest you stick to Van's plans and instruction for the firewall forward.

Areas that get different from Vans cowl include engine baffling, air induction, exhaust clearence issues, and prop selection. There are enough James cowl's flying to know it can be done, but unless you have some support, you'll get frustrated, and not every aircraft will be exactly alike.

Both will require a lot of fiberglass "cleanup" work, but Jame's cowl seems to have a little better quality control, and this is why you pay a little extra in my opinion.

There were claims the James Cowl keeps the engine cooler, but after looking around, I could not find any cooling issues with the Vans cowl (and I live in Arizona).

I've heard alot of the "claims of fame", but nothing that really makes me want to jump out of my seat and scream, if I did not use Jame's product. You'll see more impact on your top speed, with correct engine and propeller selection.

Back