What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Van’s firewall penetration locations

Swingwing

So I ran into a supply chain dilemma and was informed today that my Superior engine that I was anticipating would arrive this month is delayed until September. My plan was to mount the engine and then locate the firewall penetrations and run the wiring and controls. I have a RV-7 M1B firewall forward kit and a Superior horizontal cold air induction engine that is a clone to the Lyco IO360-M1B. I am contemplating running all the wiring and controls through the firewall before receiving the engine so I can continue to build. How good/ accurate are the location for the firewall penetration that Van’s recommends on the plans for the control cables?

Firewall

So I ran into a supply chain dilemma and was informed today that my Superior engine that I was anticipating would arrive this month is delayed until September. My plan was to mount the engine and then locate the firewall penetrations and run the wiring and controls. I have a RV-7 M1B firewall forward kit and a Superior horizontal cold air induction engine that is a clone to the Lyco IO360-M1B. I am contemplating running all the wiring and controls through the firewall before receiving the engine so I can continue to build. How good/ accurate are the location for the firewall penetration that Van’s recommends on the plans for the control cables?

7A, IO360M1B
Mine were fine but if I were building again, I would move the contactors further starboard or move the fuel line port. The fuel line is very close to the starter contactor. Granted, it's only hot when engaged but still bothered me. My starter cable also has a boot.
Note the penetration for the throttle cable is moved to the oil filter recess. Otherwise, they all worked out. I did have to run the prop cable further port but that was my fault. It wouldn't clear the oil cooler duct.
Also note, none of my Vans hoses fit. I had TS Flightlines fab all of them to fit perfectly.
The three bolts for the battery box are not perfectly aligned to the box holes. Do yourself a favor and use floating nutplates on the box. Much easier to line up. Also, cut the front off the box and add hinges with some extra room. Much easier to install the batter because the front of the box isn't in the way. Slip it right in from the side and put the pins in place.
Other stuff depends on what you decide. I used two stainless pass through fittings from Spruce. Power starboard. Data port. If Dynon, figure out where you want the pressure transducer manifold and manifold pressure sensor.
Heat valve works fine where Vans locates it.
Probably one or two more Bowden cables. Alternate Air for sure. Maybe heat control or oil duct butterfly valve.
Then there's the oil cooler.
Hope that helps

Larry,
Thank you for the guidance provided! I, too mounted the contactors and fuel line as shown on the drawings and didn't like the clearance between the two but decided I would live with it. I really appreciate the magazine articles and all the information you posted here and on your website. I reference it often to help with my build. When we meet someday at a fly-in, I owe you a good cigar

Nick

Kind words

Larry,
Thank you for the guidance provided! I, too mounted the contactors and fuel line as shown on the drawings and didn't like the clearance between the two but decided I would live with it. I really appreciate the magazine articles and all the information you posted here and on your website. I reference it often to help with my build. When we meet someday at a fly-in, I owe you a good cigar

Nick

Thanks for the kind words. I would enjoy that very much!

I have an IO-360-M1B and I was able to use the locations specified in the plans for the throttle and mixture cables, but I had to move the hole for the prop cable slightly: https://www.rv7blog.com/2007/01/06/more-firewall-holes/

20070106_prop_mixture_holes1.jpg

I have a throttle quadrant rather than plunger controls, although I don't think that should make a difference for the firewall hole locations for the cables.

If you browse the FWF section of my build log you might find some other tips on hole locations, hope it helps: https://www.rv7blog.com/category/firewall-forward/

And I second (third?) Larry's tip about fuel line versus contactor location, it's a known thing that I wish could be improved without requiring secret knowledge from the internet.

I have an IO-360-M1B and I was able to use the locations specified in the plans for the throttle and mixture cables, but I had to move the hole for the prop cable slightly: https://www.rv7blog.com/2007/01/06/more-firewall-holes/

20070106_prop_mixture_holes1.jpg

I have a throttle quadrant rather than plunger controls, although I don't think that should make a difference for the firewall hole locations for the cables.

If you browse the FWF section of my build log you might find some other tips on hole locations, hope it helps: https://www.rv7blog.com/category/firewall-forward/

And I second (third?) Larry's tip about fuel line versus contactor location, it's a known thing that I wish could be improved without requiring secret knowledge from the internet.

Thanks Matt. You have a nice builder's site. I think I need to wait to put the cable holes in the firewall until the engine is mounted. It seems there are too many variables that may shift the locations. In the meantime, I can build a lazy susan jig and install my spinner to the prop. Great idea!

Back