What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Vacuum pump cover

Derek

NewImage.jpg

I?d like to know how to blank off the part of my engine where the vacuum pump traditionally mounts. Is the plate a specific Lycoming part ?

Also, can I remove from the engine what appears to be the drive mechanism for the vacuum pump or does this have to remain in situ ?

I have an O-360-A1F6D and I removed the pump. My engine does not have the spacer section where the drive is located. Instead the case has a cast section where the drive sits. I simply cut a square piece of 1/4" aluminum plate I had laying around as a cover plate. I drilled four holes, put some RTV around the face where it meets the case, and tightened it down with nuts and lock washers.

My friend has an O-360 with a spacer section like yours. He did the same as me, but since he removed the drive and spacer section he had to make four spacer tubes to put over the studs. The tubes pressed on the cover plate he made, and the nuts and lock washers pressed on the tubes.

Hope this helps,

Derek,

I had a blank cover over the drive mechanism, but pulled the drive/spacer mechanism off at the last annual. I then also pulled the studs (which were protruding) and replaced them with bolts (note these are coarse-thread bolts - I used 1/4" #8Hard bolts from Lowes since I couldn't find official AN bolts of this configuration, and drilled the heads myself for safety wire) when I put the cover back on. If I had not had the cover, I would have made my own from a piece of 1/4" plate. Saved me carrying around an extra pound or so on the engine (now, where did I put that big bowl of ice cream???).

cheers,
greg

Last edited:
The official P/N of the plate is 60430 and it will work on either parting surface.
Should run around $ 25.00 for it.
Good Luck,
Mahlon
?The opinions and information provided in this and all of my posts are hopefully helpful to you. Please use the information provided responsibly and at your own risk."

Back