What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

UW Oshkosh not renting dorm rooms this year

Flyer2017

We've been to OSH many times and have always stayed in the dorms. This year the university is apparently not renting rooms (they have only "waitlisted" us) because they have an $18 M deficit. Many foreign visitors stayed there in past years with the ability to get a great breakfast and dinner at a fair price and take a special bus back and forth. This will cause problems for hundreds of visitors.

Does anyone know if UW OSH is planning on opening their dorms/ finding money to do so? Other campuses have rented rooms in the past but are a lot further away.

I have had an Air Condition Dorm Room most of the last 20-years.

With the shortfall of funds, everyone including me, are waitlisted. I had my room request in minutes after they started accepting them. So have several of my friends that also get AC Dorm rooms over the past two decades.

Be patient and wait for them to figure out how they are going to rake in a lot of money renting dorm rooms out for that one week. Yes they need to find some money now so that they can have the large amount of rooms rented at a very high rate with a large return for their investment.

This is the first time in the last decade that I have not had my room paid for in advance almost a year in advance.

I seem to have a confirmed reservation - they took my deposit and sent me a reservation confirmation receipt for it. 🤔

They took your deposit? Humm….
Sounds familiar. I thought about the dorms this year after hearing how well they worked for the show.

I think I will keep my eyes open for a nice tent at good price.

They are renting but AC rooms appear to be very limited. I've been getting my room through a group for the last 10 years but the group dissolved when the leader died last fall. A buddy got a confirmed resv for a non-AC room but I am wait-listed for an AC room. Our group checks typically got post-dated to March so I suspect it will be March/April when they sort out the leftovers from the groups and start clearing the wait list. After 32 visits to Oshkosh, this may be the last straw to end it.

They are renting but AC rooms appear to be very limited. I've been getting my room through a group for the last 10 years but the group dissolved when the leader died last fall. A buddy got a confirmed resv for a non-AC room but I am wait-listed for an AC room. Our group checks typically got post-dated to March so I suspect it will be March/April when they sort out the leftovers from the groups and start clearing the wait list. After 32 visits to Oshkosh, this may be the last straw to end it.
Flown my RV-6 there 22 times plus twice with ground transportation. 2022 was a BAD year for me at AirVenture and was close to not going in 2023 but did. 2023 was better but both of the last two years where the worst ones yet. No AC dorm room for me in 2024 could make 2023 the last year that I ever go again but could switch back to the first airplane year by breaking out or buying a new tent.

Back