What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

USPS lost oil sample

gear1

Well Known Member
When sending an oil sample to the lab for analysis, do not use the United States Post Office. I have been regularly sending them via United Parcel Service, and they were promptly delivered. At my last oil change, I tried the Post Office just to see what would happen. Shipped 3-day Priority Mail, so that it would be tracked. You guessed it - the sample was lost by the US Post Office that I sent it from. Never even got out of town. If you want to send anything important, do not use the Post Office.

Amen to that. I don't know how much money I've lost over the years in late payment fees and penalties because credit card or tax payments arrived late or never, even sometimes in the same town. The Post Office is a major joke.

When sending an oil sample to the lab for analysis, do not use the United States Post Office. I have been regularly sending them via United Parcel Service, and they were promptly delivered. At my last oil change, I tried the Post Office just to see what would happen. Shipped 3-day Priority Mail, so that it would be tracked. You guessed it - the sample was lost by the US Post Office that I sent it from. Never even got out of town. If you want to send anything important, do not use the Post Office.
Which oil analysis company did you send it to? One of the major oil analysis outfits has a reputation for "losing" or delaying oil analyses. It may not be the fault of the post office. I also wouldn't count on the USPS tracking to tell you when something got lost. Though they may not have lost anything, I do think their tracking leaves something to be desired. On a number of occasions I've received things before the USPS tracking showed any activity.

FWIW, I'm a very happy Blackstone customer (and use USPS) to get it there.

Last edited:
13 years of using spectrum in nj with USPS and not one problem. They send the kits which use heavy duty manela envelopes. 5 stamps and off they go. :)

USPS/Blackstone

I've used the Blackstone Labs Black plastic bottle for years. I use USPS Priority Mail and have not had one lost.

Blackstone is great. They send an email copy of the analysis and follow up with a hard copy. They are quick too. Usually less than 7 days after I sent it.

I use USPS almost exclusively. UPS was killing me with the freight rates.
In 5 years, Ive only had a couple of issues. Mainly some late delievery, and tracking issues. But----for international shipments, USPS beats Fed Ex, and UPS hand down.
Now----if we have any Fed EX people on her that want to negociate, give me a call.
Tom

Have used Blackstone oil analysis via USPS for several years now. Zero problems. While I was building my airplane, I got to where I always used USPS Priority Mail for shipping parts, if it was one of the choices the vendor offered. Always cheaper and always fast and reliable.

Have used Blackstone oil analysis via USPS for several years now. Zero problems. While I was building my airplane, I got to where I always used USPS Priority Mail for shipping parts, if it was one of the choices the vendor offered. Always cheaper and always fast and reliable.

Ditto here, 7 years good.

I've used Blackstone and USPS for over ten years (~50 analyses) myself, with never a problem. IMHO neither can be beat. TIP: don't fill the little jug full. Blackstone doesn't need it and it costs money to mail. 1/2-3/4 is plenty and keeps the weight to less than 4 oz. I use one first class stamp and three add'l oz. stamps (which are half price). Makes me sound cheap I know, but poor people have poor ways.

Joker

I use USPS almost exclusively. UPS was killing me with the freight rates.
In 5 years, Ive only had a couple of issues. Mainly some late delievery, and tracking issues. But----for international shipments, USPS beats Fed Ex, and UPS hand down.
Now----if we have any Fed EX people on her that want to negociate, give me a call.
Tom
Same here and zero issues so far.

A package was shipped via USPS at nearly half the rate of UPS and it was delivered in 2 days. The same package is on its way back now via UPS and their estimate right now is 8 days before it gets back to me.

Perhaps this is one rare case that the government organization is out preforming private sector.

Back