What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Using XPDR swithed power

RVG8tor

Well Known Member
I am installing an equipment cooling fan, the Garmin 327 has a switched power pin I guess normally used to run an encoder (I think). It has a max AMP of 1.5 and that is above the requirements of the cooling fan. I am thinking of powering the fan from this source that way when the transponder comes on the cooling fan is on.

Anyone do anything like this, did you add a switch to disable the fan? In thinking of bad things that might happen, my though is a problem with a fan burning up from some reason, I would have to turn off the transponder to remove the electrical to the fan. I am not even sure that would or could be a failure mode in the fan, and it would not be a big deal to lose the transponder in most cases.

So good or bad idea to use the switched power off the transponder. More weight, but not much, to add a dedicated wire, fuse and switch for the fan.

Cheers

Bad idea in my opinion, you risk damaging an expensive piece of equipment to gain very little utility. I run an avionics cooling fan in the summer, the "switch" is the fuse, I put it in when the weather starts getting warm and remove the fuse during the winter months. The fan simply comes on with bus power when the fuse is installed.

Back