What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Using Weld-On 45 for RV-10 transparencies

Wayne Gillispie

Well Known Member
It has a higher viscosity than Weld-On 10(500,000 vs 40,000 cP). It has 25% weaker bond strength than Weld-On 10(2,700 psi vs 2,000 psi). It has better gap filling qualities. No mixing required as it mixes in the mixing tubes from the dispensing gun.

I used electrical tape on both sides leaving 13/16-7/8" showing for bonding to fiberglass. Sanded both surfaces with 220 grit. Cleaned fiberglass with acetone and plexiglass with 91% isopropyl alcohol. Applied Weld-On 45 with a1/4"-5/16" bead all the way around. Set window in place. Pushed down lightly leaving approximately .020" film thickness. Easy to see when all voids are filled. Some will squish out the gap on both sides. Wipe with your gloved finger to form fillet. Don't let it build too thick on the electrical tape. Working time is 6 minutes. More than enough time with two people. Waited about 10 minutes to pull electrical tape off...almost too long as it held on to the tape in a few places. I'll make up for the bond strength loss by applying fiberglass cloth on all exterior and proseal on interior joints.

Anyone wanting to use Weld-On 45 can get it from The Engineer Guy in Atlanta for about $70 plus shpg for two 13.5 oz kits. About the same cost as Weld-On 10 once you have the dispensing gun. The gun is $102. Anyone that wants to borrow my gun will just pay shipping both ways.

Back