What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Using Vette Bond

I recently began building mi empenage, and reading ahead, I see that the trim tab has foam ribs and Vans directs us to use tank sealer when gluing the ribs. I was wondering if I could use some epoxy bonding goo? This very expensive stuff used to glue corvette panels to the internal members.

I assume it would take spreading a thin film on both the metal skin and the foam.

Any sugestions?

Last edited:
Alternatives

I used T-88 Structural Epoxy and it worked well. It's available through Aircraft Spruce . . . soon to be you favorite web site other than this one!
Ray

Just slightly abrade the aluminum skin; 150 grit should be fine. Make sure the foam rib fits tightly inside the skin. No need to use a lot of epoxy, just make sure all contact surfaces are coated.

Is there a reason you dont want to use the recomended proseal? based on past experience it will stick to anything and everything.:)

Nothing against using the tank sealer, Just figured this stuff I have may even work better. I guess I will decide when the time comes.

Thanks for all the replies

Strength?

Strength isn't what we're looking for in this bond to foam, peel resistance is. Quite frankly, I used T-88 too, but would use just about anything with a good peel resistance, Remember the foam has about a 20psi yield strength.

Use what you know. I'd see no issue in using automotive stuff in my plane, I'm doing it, although my stuff comes from the heavy truck side.

Rick 90432

Back