What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Using the Intercom of a GTR 205X with two radios

JDA_BTR

Well Known Member
The GTR205X does everything that my audio panel does - almost. It has bluetooth, streams music, takes phone calls, you name it. What it doesn't do is permit com1/com2 switching. So if I want a second radio, I'm to install an audio panel. It seems such a waste to do that.

So I'm thinking through a little audio board that I can use to select Com1/2. Any thoughts or suggestions? I'd probably save 50 hours of time just putting in an audio panel but maybe there is something more interesting to do about it.

No clean solution on trying to switch or mix the two radios. First you have to switch the two MICs and PTTs (pilot/copilot) between the two radios, then you have to route the associated radio headset audio from the active radio to the headsets. You could use something like a 20P2T multi deck switch to switch between two identically setup GTR205s to do what you want without an external audio panel. I use a 4P3T switch with a PM3000 intercom to switch between COM1 and COM2 and do not use the intercom features of my GTR200. Music/BT/Phone are handled by the Lightspeed Zulu 3s.

John Salak
RV-12 N896HS

Good advice from John... but your statement about saving 50 hours and just putting in an audio panel is probably the easier option.

I was faced with exactly this issue myself a couple of months ago and after considering the alternatives chose to reuse a PS Engineering intercom I had available in stock. It has a small footprint in the panel and provided all the functionality I needed without creating a micky-duck system I might have problems troubleshooting in future. If you're good with PCB's and prototyping you could have some fun though.

Helping a guy upgrade I recently ran into the exact same issue.
single GTR200B, serving as an intercom. Adding a GPS+COM.
In the end, installed a PMA4000 (picked up on eBay for $350)
there's a reason why the Garmin 200 installation manual shows an Audio Panel when you have two radios, as you've found.

Thoughts (had & discarded)
VFR only? Carry a handheld. Possibly even setup an external antenna for it.

Wire the 2nd com into the first com's aux input, and add a switch to be able to turn listen on/off easily. Of course the GTR200B already has a monitor function, but the 2nd volume control could be useful.

Separate jacks to the second com for that 'rainy day' gotta use the #2 to transmit.

I agree, these days when we don't need ADF, Marker, DME, etc. inputs, a whole audio panel seems like expensive overkill. Part of the decision was re-sale, owner didn't want some weirdness that would confuse and put off a prospective buyer down the road.

Back