What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Using a winch to pull an RV-6A

woodmanrog

Well Known Member
My wife is unable to push our plane back into our hangar by herself. There is an upward incline and two rails that the hangar doors ride on to go into the building. Has anyone used a winch to pull an RV backward into a hangar? If so, where did you attach the strap or hook to the plane? We cannot use the rear tiedown ring as this is too flimsy to pull the weight of the plane. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Search the archives; this has been discussed previously at length. I use a HF remote control winch(about $70 IIRC) attached to the rear tie down ring on my -10. Vans does not recommend doing this, by the way. Some of the other posters in the earlier thread used different attach points.

Jim Berry
RV-10

I had a similar problem. My solution was to relocate to a different airport (well, not the primary reason).

I have not tried this, but can you make a bridle that attaches to the wing tie down rings, string it aft, and attach a winch at the aft center point near the rudder?

Remote control the winch from the front of the aircraft while stearing with a nose wheel tow bar.

Read those other threads, search for "winch," many better ideas out there...

Got it solved

The best way for us is to put a loop of 2" wide tow strap around each foot rest then have them meet in the middle under the fuselage to the winch cable. With a wireless remote, steer from the front with the tow bar. Thanks for the help guys.

Do you have an emergency shutoff in case the remote does not work? SH

A length of rope long enough to attach to the tie down to the winch will prevent any damage if the winch runs away. Also, the remote only allows the winch to run for a few feet, then you have to push it again, but that safety could certainly fail. The rope safety won't.

Back