What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Useful fuel ?

3A fuselage tank capacity

Normally 24 gal. Mine is 23 gal due to recess in aft end for long instrument. Its a lot of gas for a small plane that goes fast! I made a cal'd fuel dip stick so I know exactly how much fuel on board. Good for hitting 1050 gross weight for fun flights.

useful fuel

So all of it is useable. I also have a header tank that's labeled 23 gallons. I purchased the three and re-engined it with a IO-320 and a C/S metal prop. Out of curiosity. What do you have hanging out front and what is your fuel burn at optimum 8 to 9 grand and 65 to 75 percent? I haven't calc my fuel burn yet but assume I'll be in the ball park of Lyc manual figures.

Fuel burn

160hp O-320 with Pacesetter 68x69 wood climb prop. Way under pitched but that's what it came with when I bought it two years ago and I just love it. Climbs like mad. The cruising sweet spot with this low pitch prop seems to be about 2150rpm at lower altitudes, which I'm indicating only 140mph but burning only 5 gph consistently and its pretty quiet. I think you could add 8-10 inches to the pitch to use the available power more effectively if you wanted best speed, but I love the vertical performance for fun flights and the economy cruise is very acceptable for my solo cross country missions when I'd rather be relaxed in the plane than on the ground anyway. If I HAD to change the prop, I'd proably up the pitch 4-5 inches as a compromise, up the rpm's, accept the higher fuel burn rate, and enjoy a higher cruise speed. But I am not in a hurry, so I am not in a hurry.......&=)
Not sure what pitch/power and airspeeds others are getting.

Back