What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Used kit purchase

vandi

I'm thinking about purchasing a used/partially assembled tail kit.

I've read VAN's concerns about these things, but I have a couple of questions that forum members might be able to answer:

1) are there any changes to the tail structure in the last couple of years.

2) has there been any issues with cracks in the tail structures mainly stabilizer spars,that might need a tear down to revel.

Thanks

--Brian

2) has there been any issues with cracks in the tail structures mainly stabilizer spars,that might need a tear down to revel.

Thanks

--Brian
A better question would be are there mistakes that might need a tear down to reveal....
And the answer is there may bwe mistakes ....
The probably would be able to be identified....
A tear down may be needed to correct them....

Been there ... Done that....

What is the risk vs. how much saved would be a good question to ask.

May not save enough to make it worth the hassle....
Or you might...

The tail kit is cheap. The tail kit is where you do a lot of learning. The tail kit is a vital structure. Catch my drift? JMHO.

In general, I agree with John. However, the initial post indicates it is only partially assembled so may depend on how much has been done. In addition, I think you can tell a lot just by looking at the quality of the construction and what you CAN see. No guarantees of course but how well were things that you can see/feel deburred, etc? It is also pretty easy to see into the tailcone and assess how well it was assembled without any teardown.

For many of us who were early builders, our learning did not occur on the tailkit anyway. We built the wings first and frankly, I don't think that made any difference for me, despite being a first-time builder.

Jeff

Yeah, but even IF the kit has been put together nicely, and it has just been done partially anyway, how much can you save on the cheap and easy to build tail kit that it would be worth some lost sleep over the quality of the build?
As I'm a first time builder I needed the tail kit to get familiar with the techniques used and I wouldn't have missed that working on the wings now.

If you were selling this kit

I'm thinking about purchasing a used/partially assembled tail kit.

I've read VAN's concerns about these things, but I have a couple of questions that forum members might be able to answer:

1) are there any changes to the tail structure in the last couple of years.

Thanks

--Brian

I wasn’t going to respond to this, but some of the answers concerns me.
The person who built this kit may have done an exultant job and it may be better then most of the tail kits built.
The most important question is will Van allow you to go LSA and is the kit of good quality.
If the price of the kit is close to the price of a new kit give the builder a break or there will be a lot of tail kits unfinished.
Take an experienced builder with to look at the kit.
Do not buy from photos.
One more thing van has the same motive as the seller

Last edited:
Thanks for the input.

I have debated most of the points, but with the included tools it's pretty much a good deal to get started. For me, it would be sometime next year before I could even start to think about starting a project. Going this route give me an earlier start time due to the $$ aspect. I have plenty of time, just not the full funds yet to start.

I just called Vans and they indicated that it is not going to be an issue with future LSA status. Just need a copy of the bill of sale to transfer the kit.

Congratulations

Thanks for the input.

I have debated most of the points, but with the included tools it's pretty much a good deal to get started. For me, it would be sometime next year before I could even start to think about starting a project. Going this route give me an earlier start time due to the $$ aspect. I have plenty of time, just not the full funds yet to start.

I just called Vans and they indicated that it is not going to be an issue with future LSA status. Just need a copy of the bill of sale to transfer the kit.

Congratulations
What is the kit #?
Send me some photos by email if you like
If I can be of any help just email me.
[email protected]

Last edited:
Back