What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Useable prop governors?

Greenley

Well Known Member
Building an RV-10 with a IO-540/C4B5 engine from an Aztec, just overhauled it. Planning on the regular two blade hartzell prop purchased through vans, and trying to decide what to do for a prop governor. I have two removed working prop governors, a woodward 210345 from an IO-470, and a hartzell H-1. Trying to figure out it either one of these would be an appropriate governor to use. Does anyone know, or know who would be best to ask? I think that woodward model is a 2600 rpm unit, can that be changed, should it be if possible? Am I even asking the right questions?

The Woodward unit would have to modified/overhauled. The wood and units are some of the most expensive governors to overhaul so it may not be economically feasible versus buying the correct governor. I don't know about the Hartzell H-1. You could probably call Hartzell and get more information on that governor as well as a list of units that are approved for the prop you intend to use.

If you use the MT governor from Vans on the IO-540-C4B5, then the bracket and cable that come with the RV-10 FWF kit will fit it perfectly, only needing a minor re-clocking adjustment on the governor to make the arm line up with the cable.

Photo from AZCloudFlyer's website:
IMG_0390.jpg

Also another website detailing why you probably want to go with the governor Vans intended for the RV-10:

http://www.aviationstop.com/2008/12/changing-propeller-governor.html

Last edited:
Thanks for the info, had not thought about the cowling. As to the cost, overhaul is $495 so much cheaper than a new one, and I already have the longer studs on the engine. But all else aside, having to enlarge the cowling is a definite deal breaker so looks like I am buying a new governor. Looking at the pictures I think the long studs will not be a problem with the recommended governors.

... having to enlarge the cowling is a definite deal breaker so looks like I am buying a new governor. Looking at the pictures I think the long studs will not be a problem with the recommended governors.

Back when I helped my friends build their RV-10 (completed in 2009) we went thru the same deal and decided that using what Vans intended was the "path of least resistance". That RV-10 has been flying great now for over 5 years with the Hartzell 2-blade Blended Airfoil prop and MT governor on a Barrett-built IO-540-C4B5 engine.

I have the Hartzel governor sold by Vans for the -10, and had no problems with installation or operation.
BTW, be careful. Since your engine came off a twin the original governor most likely works 'backwards' and would be a disaster with the non feathering prop.

Both the new design Hartzell and the MT are virtually identical on their external dimensions. The MT is currently $45 cheaper than the Hartzell on Van's website.

Another choice that would probably work is the PCU5000 or Jihostroj governors, but when you buy one of the brands/models that Van's themselves sells, you know that they've already done the homework on whether it'll install and fit well.

I guess I have a couple of used governors to return to the person who gave them to me, and I will buy a new one. Thanks for all the info.

Short answer: it depends

I can say the 470 gov will not work on a 540 - think Ford/Chevy here: the drive ratios are very different.

The H1 might be a candidate tho: I think there are 4 different drive ratios for the Lyc C/S engines, and all are sort of close. Even the narrow deck 540s have a different ratio from the wide deck 540s, so 1st ya gotta know what you have!

If you take the thing in for an IRAN inspection (Tiffin Aire is my call here), tell the techie that #1 you do not need a yellow tag, but you want it set up for Lyc .XXX drive ratio, and you want XXXX as the final RPM upper limit (I suggest 2750 here).

So, it's not a total waste - the H1 is likely usable.

Carry on!
Mark

Back