What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Use of PVC spacers for cowl fitting

bob888

Well Known Member
Vans has a recommendation that 2 1/8 in PVC pipe spacers can be bolted between the ring gear and the spinner back plate to get the proper spinner position when fitting the cowl. This should allow this to be done without having the prop mounted. Has anyone had problems doing this? I worry that when the prop eventually goes on the clearance between the front of cowl and spinner might not be right and options at that point may be limited.

Propeller

When I did my 9A, American Propeller supplied a dummy device that came from Whirlwind. Check with your propeller supplier.

I used the PVC spacers on my -6A. Just make sure each spacer is the exact required length. Worked great for me...

I worried about my ability to make good spacers from PVC with a chop saw and also didn't want to worry about the compressibility of the spacers if I got a bit heavy-handed with the wrench on one side or the other, possibly canting the spinner backplate. So I took some water pipe stock and had my machinist friend make up a set of spacers for me; took about 10 minutes, mostly setup, and they worked beautifully. All were the same length and the bearing surfaces were parallel (not sure I could do that with a chop saw). This was on my RV-6A but I will have him make a set for the -10 when I get to that point.

I cut the PVC spacers slightly large and sanded them down to size making sure both ends were square. It worked perfectly.

prop spacer

Here in Tucson we have a machined steel spacer that substitues for the prop hub that we pass around as needed. It has worked for all of the RVs.

Be SURE you have the correct dimensions ...

... for the spacer. If you err, it can be very difficult after the cowl is cut. I erred when I made my spacers, because I didn't have the spinner backplate in hand and assumed it looked like a 172, i.e. flat. I didn't know the Vans spinner has an aftward flange of 1/2" on the backplate. I didn't realize the problem til after the cowl was done ... had to have Sam at Saber make me a custom prop extension to make up the 1/2". I lost two nights of sleep worrying before I talked to Sam. :eek:

i just went to the local prop shop and asked them about a red tagged rear half of a hub. they gave me one.

bob burns
RV-4 N82RB

Spacers

I located a Hartzell C/S. It had the old hub subject to the AD and was damaged and in need of insp/OH so had no real value. Cut the blades off about 4" outside the hub so it's good for cowling and spinner fitting.

Back