What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Use of Bondo

Dave12

Well Known Member
Can anyone tell me if A small amount of bondo could be used on the canopy F/G layup for filling?

Hey Dave

The method in the instructions works well. It works well, and sands well. 'Bondo' I think would create more problems. It is softer, and would be harder to shape in my opinion. Try following the instructions. I think you'll like it.

John Bender

I used Eurocoat Eversoft

for the final minor spot fillings. It sandes really easily. fills well, and is used by professional body shops so I'm assuming it will remain attached. So far so good.

Wayne 120241

careful

Not sure, but does not Bando have a type of resin called polyester that the fumes from as it cues can cloud and cause brittle cracks in our canopies. The correct resin should be epoxy with micro balls as filler. I'm pretty sure about this, but I'm sure several other builders know better the subject.

poly resin

Poly resin should not be bonded to plexi. If the plexi is well protected, for example with plastic or foil tape, there should be no issues. I have done several Pitts windshields where the attach strip was done with poly and bondo. It was drilled in place, then separated from the windshield for finishing and painting, then final assembly with machine screws. Well over 20 years on one with no issues.

Bondo

Bondo has a tendency to crack over time due to vibration. Use Miracle Fill. It is inexpensive, sands well, takes primer. Aircraft Spruce and others have it. Its a two part material; 2 parts of one 'stuff', and one part of the other; mix well and apply. Setup time is moderate; no need to hurry. Used some on the RV6A and it was as good as 'day one' 15-years later, but some Bondo had already cracked and the edges were ready to lift.

Back