What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

USA to Canada now want to buy and return to USA

Warp10

I have seen other treads on bringing a Canadian RV back into the USA, but none that fits this scenario.
I'm looking at a RV9A built and registered in the USA, flown off the 40hrs and then some. It was purchased by a Canadian 10 ish years ago and has not flown in the last few years. I'm not sure if Canada has requirement for Annual Inspections or their equivalent. No matter the aircraft is not flyable, so If I bought it ..... and trailered it into the USA, does anyone have experience in doing this?

I have seen other treads on bringing a Canadian RV back into the USA, but none that fits this scenario.
I'm looking at a RV9A built and registered in the USA, flown off the 40hrs and then some. It was purchased by a Canadian 10 ish years ago and has not flown in the last few years. I'm not sure if Canada has requirement for Annual Inspections or their equivalent. No matter the aircraft is not flyable, so If I bought it ..... and trailered it into the USA, does anyone have experience in doing this?

If you can show proof that the aircraft has had a US Airworthiness Certificate, it can be brought back into the US system with a simple recurrent airworthiness inspection.

It will have to be brought back to airworthiness standards and have a current condition inspection.

Last edited:
If you can show proof that the aircraft has had a US Airworthiness Certificate, it can be brought back into the US system with a simple recurrent airworthiness inspection.

It will have to be brought back to airworthiness standards and have a current condition inspection.

Thanks Mel.. I was hoping you would respond!!!
If the Canadian does not have the "Pink Airworthiness Certificate" , can the US tail number be used to searched some archive and a duplicate be sent to me... assuming I do purchase this RV9A?

Canada has a requirement for annual inspections on Amateur Built aircraft. The inspection may be done and signed off by the aircraft owner, even if he/she is not the builder. If the aircraft is airworthy it may be possible to get a Ferry Permit to fly it back to the US. Someone with a dual license could then fly it back to the US. The Canadian owner must cancel the registration in order to register it in the US, but not before the flight if it is being flown back.

Canadian regs for a Special Flight (Ferry) Permit.

CAR 507.04 Issue of a Flight Permit
(1) Flight permits shall only be issued on a temporary (12 months or less) basis where the aircraft in respect of which an application is made does not conform to the conditions of issue for a C of A or a Special C of A. A flight permit is issued in one of the following classifications:

(a) Experimental;

(b) Specific Purpose.

(2) Flight Permit - Experimental

An experimental flight permit is issued for any aircraft, excluding aircraft that are operated under a special certificate of airworthiness in the owner-maintenance or amateur-built classification, which is manufactured for, or engaged in, aeronautical research and development, or for showing compliance with airworthiness standards.
(amended 2002/03/01)

(3) Flight Permit - Specific Purpose

A specific purpose flight permit is issued for an aircraft which does not conform to the applicable airworthiness standards, but is capable of safe flight. It provides a flight authority in circumstances when a certificate of airworthiness is invalidated, or there is no other certificate or permit in force.

Information Note:

Specific purpose flight permits can be issued for:

(a) Ferry-flights to a base for repairs or maintenance;

(b) Importation or exportation flights;

(c) Demonstration, market survey, or crew training flights;

(d) Test purposes following repair, modification or maintenance; or

(e) Other temporary purposes.

Back