What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Upper Fuse Longeron to WD-602 Problem

I am having difficulty aligning the Upper Fuselage Longeron to the Upper Engine Mount Bracket WD-602 on both side of the fuselage.
I have completed the first longeron bend at station 29 ?? and the long curve but have not as yet fully completed the twist which begins at the rear most point of WD-602 and station 29 ??.
It appears that WD-602 does not ?point? directly at station 29 ??. If I extend a straight line along the arms of WD-602 they meet the fuselage jig before station 29 ??. In other words the arms point too high (towards the workshop floor).
I have checked the height of the firewall relative to the jig and confirmed the 24 ?? dimension.

Can anyone advise please

http://i1348.photobucket.com/albums/p738/amaschmedtRV6andy/IMG_1211_zpse6da18f1.jpg

Last edited:
Have you verified the Upper engine mount bracket to the drawing ? On your mount are the two long 'fingers' welded together all the way ?

I had a similar issue, maybe not quite as big of a "mismatch"....
This is one of a number of design/plans issues that the early builders had to deal with in one way or another. Some (many?) may not have even noticed issues like this; they may have just "forced"things into place and clamped/match drilled and moved on.

Thanks for your help Jan and Chris,
I have made some progress since the first post. After doing some detailed measurements of WD 602 against the drawing, I found that the bracket was slightly away from drawing.
I've moved on and made the twist in the longeron which has improved the fit.
Thanks Jan for your pictorial guidance via PM.

Back