What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Upper cowling attach

Pat Stewart

Well Known Member
Curious if anyone has used the fastener aaproach vs. the hinge on the upper cowling/firewall. If you have pictures that would be great.

Pat

Example of Skybolt fastener attach

My 8's upper cowl is attached with the Skybolt fasteners. The segmented piece allows each fastener to minutely adjust to the exact angle required for a perfect fit.

baggagedoor01.jpg

fuselage050.jpg

The mating surface in the upper cowl is lined with .020" thick neoprene to avoid chafing with the anodized surface. Don't know if this will work on the 10, but at least it illustrates one way of doing the job.

Upr Cowl attach

Thanks for the information and pictures guys. I did use cam locks on both my 8's. Has anyone done this on a 10.

Pat

I'm a little confused. I thought the Skybolt fasteners shown above were essentially camlocs. Having said that, I bought the MILSPEC Camloc cowling kit via a group buy but I have not installed it as of yet (not at that point in the build yet).

Camloc Fasteners

I think Camloc is a brand name for a quarter-turn fastener. But the name has become somewhat generic, like Kleenex or Xerox.

In any case, that style fastener is a good way to go. It costs a little more, but they make getting the cowling on and off easier. If you have to reach in to pull hinge pins through the oil fill door on a hot engine, it can be uncomfortable, to say the least.

Thanks for the information and pictures guys. I did use cam locks on both my 8's. Has anyone done this on a 10.

Pat

I did and am happy with them. I just followed the instructions supplied my Milspec fasteners. I used .063 sheet to mount them to the firewall flange. If I recall I spaced the like 3.75 inches apart. I used a nutplate and screw on the forward most attach point.

Back