What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Upper Cowl Hinge Dimensions

ravenstar

Well Known Member
I need some advice on cutting the F-01201J-1 upper cowl hinge described in section 29 figure 1. I can't make sense out of the dimensions vs. the shape of the hinge. The diagram shows a length of hinge that starts and ends with a knuckle on the top half of the hinge, but there's no way to cut a 25 7/8" segment so that it has a complete knuckle on both the start and end. The knuckles are 1/2" long spaced 1" apart. Either I have to start the cut in the middle of a knuckle and end in the middle, or I start at the end of one knuckle and end with a gap. A 25 1/2" segment would fit the diagram. What have others done with this piece?

I don't think it matters much, as long as the end knuckles are "substantial" (you don't want a 1/8 inch knuckle at the end) and the fore and aft halves mate with flush ends. They should look like you cut the hinge with one cut with the hinge pin installed. Remove the hinge pin however - it is cut separately to be longer than the hinge itself.

My A/C is in the hanger so I can't look to see what I did, but I suspect one end has a knuckle that is 3/8 inch long the other is the full 1/2 inch.

Back