What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

UPGRADED WHEELS AND BRAKES

skyyking

Has anyone out there upgraded the Van's offerings with the wheel and/or brake assemblies? Or did you just go with what came in the Finish Kit?

Groves

I dropped the Clevelands and went with Grove 56-1A. Two years ago the cost difference was about +$100. Well worth it IMO.

http://www.groveaircraft.com/wbproducts.html

You can play with the kinetic energy calculator on the site and compare your requirements with the ~115Kft-lb of the standard units vs the 205Kft-lb of the 56-1A.

A couple of guys I know switched and report much better braking and controls with none of the heat related issues.

The 56-1M are magnesium wheels and about a pound lighter.

Check it out and don't forget to put the springs on the master cyls while you're at it.

My .02 worth.

I went with the Grove wheels, brakes and master cylinders. I also used Flight Custom III's on the mains. I put the "long bolts" (I think they were #60's) in instead of the 2 shorts bolts to attach the brake pedals to the rudder weldments. No need for extra springs on the masters.

I built mine per the plans, including the short bolts on the brake pedals, no springs, etc. and haven't had a problem.

Then again, being a tail dragger I don't use the brakes to steer.

Back