What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Upgrade path

Manchu16

I am keeping my panel, but slowly upgrading to glass. What should go next?

My 6 pack today is (clockwise from top left)
Steam airspeed, av30, steam Alt, steam VSI, Trutrak AP head, steam turn and bank. I have no vacuum system.

I am installing a EI CGR-30P and I am debating on replacing the Altimeter or the VSI. I am more apt to pull the VSI as the next move will be to add another AV30 in place of the Alt. I am going to replace the area that had the 2 1/4 gauges with my iPad.

Would love some perspectives on the slow roll glass strategy.

I am keeping my panel, but slowly upgrading to glass. What should go next?

My 6 pack today is (clockwise from top left)
Steam airspeed, av30, steam Alt, steam VSI, Trutrak AP head, steam turn and bank. I have no vacuum system.

I am installing a EI CGR-30P and I am debating on replacing the Altimeter or the VSI. I am more apt to pull the VSI as the next move will be to add another AV30 in place of the Alt. I am going to replace the area that had the 2 1/4 gauges with my iPad.

Would love some perspectives on the slow roll glass strategy.
I’d replace the VSI. If something really really weird happens with the single AV-30, a steam altimeter remains a super useful backup. I love the plan to go to two AV-30s and an iPad, that setup offers HUGE bang for the buck.

In the experimental world, I advocate going for a full glass panel even if it is a used older version.

For the certified world and on a slow budget, I would replace your attitude first, then your heading indicator. Move the AP head toward the center so if you ever fly with someone who knows how to set the radios, gps and use the AP that they have it in reach. Next I would get an engine monitor that tracks EGT & CHT for all cylinders as well as fuel flow. But now you’re already into the cost of a full EFIS. But with two G5,s or AV30’s you already have all the major info needed to fly. Just remove the others.

Clockwise starting with upper left:
Nothing or Clock w timer , AV30, AP head, -> engine monitor, AV30, nothing

But honestly, I would go with a used EFIS and use the AV30 as a backup if I were on a budget.

If you're doing a gradual upgrade, you'll eventually reach a point where you run out of incrementalism and need to take a big leap.

I started out with a round-gauge day-VFR panel. Standard sixpack, vacuum gauge, Vans engine gauges, EI CHT/EGT/OAT gauge, EI fuel flow. GNS430 nav.

First upgrade: Installed a TruTrak Vizion 380 autopilot.
Second upgrade: Garmin had a not-to-be-refused deal on 430->430W.
Third upgrade: Replace AH with Garmin G5.
Fourth upgrade: Replace DG with Garmin G5. Add a GAD-29 to interface G5s to the 430W. Use US$500 upgrade from TruTrak to upgrade Vizion 380 to 385.

These were all step-by-step, quite manageable from a budget point of view.

Things sat like that for a while. Then the big leap:

Fifth upgrade: Full panel rebuild. Garmin G3X Touch system. Re-use GAD-29, GNS430W, one of the G5's. Replace TT AP servos with Garmin ones (they use the same mounts). Sell all the recovered subsystems.

The sixth upgrade will be GNS430W -> GTN650Xi.

I think it'll be "finished" then.

- mark

Back