What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Update on Subaru Vendors

rv6ejguy

Well Known Member
I'm sad to report that legal problems between the owners of Maxwell Propulsion Systems and the owners of the old NSI company have resulted in the assets of MPS being seized and sold at auction. MPS was a new vendor (as of 2005) of Subaru FF engine packages who was trying to do things right from an engineering and customer service perspective.

Gwen Maxwell who ran MPS was a class act all the way. It is very unfortunate that something like this took them out of the marketplace.

Crossflow Aero appears to have closed down as well. Their website is down and their domain name has expired last I checked. There is no answer at their phone number. About a year ago Crossflow announced their plan to certify their Subaru based conversions. The factory was moved a few years back and it appeared new financial backers were in place. It was clear however from the many phone calls and e-mails I received from unhappy customers that Crossflow had problems with customer service and other technical issues.

It's not clear where existing customers are left with regards to support and parts.

Eggenfellner is still offering his 6 cylinder conversions and a number of people are getting some good performance numbers from the engines sold in the last 3 years or so. One fellow here who I've helped is getting 165 knots TAS on 8.5 GPH and it runs beautifully with no problems at all.

Most people are getting good cooling with all the latest kit and recommendations installed. There have been only a few issues with gearboxes and some mystery valve problems on a couple engines. Activity on his Yahoo group is way down, many people getting support from Subenews instead which is very active.

Reportedly they are working on their own EMS design for the Subes. It is not clear what they are supplying to current customers. Many people are using the IVO prop to keep costs down, with the electric MTs out of sight on price now. Prices on engine packages have come way down as of late as well.

They are marketing the 100hp Honda based engine for LSA type aircraft. The engine was test flown on a Zenith earlier this year.

For 150-200hp alternative engines, Eggenfellner is about the only one left standing in North America.

The economy downturn has hurt most businesses so drastic measures have to be taken to even survive in many cases.

The alt engine business is a hard road in the best economic times, even harder now. Kudos to those who choose to stay at it.

Last edited:
confirmed

Ross,
I can confirm that Crossflow is out of business. When my second Crossflow engine burned a piston eight seconds into the flight, I tried to get a warranty refund and Jorge told me to pound sand -- that he was no longer in the engine business. I had to eat the $$$, big time. That was Dec., 2009. I am now happily flying behind a new AeroSportPower IO360 -- proving that Canadians really can do good work! ;) I have a core EJ20 with #4 cyl. toasted, still on the engine mount for sale for next to nothing if anyone is interested.

Ross,
I can confirm that Crossflow is out of business. When my second Crossflow engine burned a piston eight seconds into the flight, I tried to get a warranty refund and Jorge told me to pound sand -- that he was no longer in the engine business. I had to eat the $$$, big time. That was Dec., 2009. I am now happily flying behind a new AeroSportPower IO360 -- proving that Canadians really can do good work! ;) I have a core EJ20 with #4 cyl. toasted, still on the engine mount for sale for next to nothing if anyone is interested.

Ben, I don't recall if you were the one who sent me the engine data logs of your short flight last year? If so, those were some messed up EMS maps. Glad to hear you are happily flying behind Aerosport power now.

Alternative Engine Customer Service, etc.

It's not clear where existing customers are left with regards to support and parts.

Ross; the above quote (re. Crossflow) could also be said of one company that is still in business...My buddy is building a Subie powered RV-7A and has been trying for the past year to get the difference between the price of the originally ordered MT prop (@$8K) and the IVO that was finally delivered, refunded to him. He hopes a face to face meeting at OSH this year might finally get him his refund. Another local buddy building a Subie "7A" also could not get a refund for his prop that was never delivered. In his case though he had the good fortune of marrying a gal whose brother was a lawyer. The new brother-in-law wrote an offical looking letter to the the company, and a rapid refund arrived in his mailbox after 2+ yrs of making verbal requests for naut.

It's sad and frustrating to see the companies that demonstrate a genuine customer service attitude and back it up with real actions; seem to be the ones that have a difficult time making it in the market place. Those are the companies that most of us doing this alternative engine thing would really like to support!

Doug Lomheim
OK City, OK
RV-9A, 13B FWF

Back