What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Update insurance saga

Great News,
My agent Kyle Johnson from BWI-FLY insurance came through for me.
Hallelujah.
A weight has been lifted.
Daddyman soon returns to the skies.
I am happy you got the coverage you need. But I remain perplexed by the insurance industry. BWI is a broker, not an insurance company. Any broker should have been able to get you a quote (Avemco excepted) from the same company. I don’t think this is how the system is supposed to work.

Some brokers are more effective and persuasive than others in interceding directly with the underwriter on behalf of a client. I’ve seen this myself in the past having two different aviation insurance brokers dealing with AIG on my behalf, and went through it earlier this week with my broker on an auto policy issue.

I am happy you got the coverage you need. But I remain perplexed by the insurance industry. BWI is a broker, not an insurance company. Any broker should have been able to get you a quote (Avemco excepted) from the same company. I don’t think this is how the system is supposed to work.
BobTurner,
True in theory. I did question a broker that I had a "not-in-motion" policy - Traver's Insurance out of St. Louis.
She said she did try and was not successful.
I'm not disparaging her, yet I never got the impression she was really in my corner rooting for me.
Yes, she would get me insurance if it was easy, no if it required effort.
Daddyman

Data point: RV-10, IFR-equipped/VFR pilot late 60's with 1400 TT, 125 in make/model, 20 hours flown last year (!) hangared at home on grass strip - $300k hull in-motion, 1M liability, AIG through Gallagher. Slight increase in premium from last year, now quoted $3,631.

Data point: RV-10, IFR-equipped/VFR pilot late 60's with 1400 TT, 125 in make/model, 20 hours flown last year (!) hangared at home on grass strip - $300k hull in-motion, 1M liability, AIG through Gallagher. Slight increase in premium from last year, now quoted $3,631.
Details matter.
Is that 1 M ‘smooth’, or are there sub-limits?

Back