What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Up to date revisions

Fl Mac

Well Known Member
I was told that when you received a kit the plans would have the most recent up to date revisions. I even confirmed this just before shipment. I was told the only drawings I would need to print and replace were the ones changes after my kit shipped.

Not the case. I am working away fat, dumb, and happy when I find some mistakes. I think, "man I can't believe no one has found these yet". I check and none of my pages have been changed. Not even the ones that were revised months ago.

Don't assume because you have a new set of drawings and you were told they were up to date, that they actually are.

Van's website

Van's website is actually quite specific about this....

"RV-12 Revisions/Changes

Important!
The ?revision level? of a drawing may or may not change depending on the revision?s significance to the builder.

To confirm that you have the most recent information on a particular drawing, compare the date on your drawing with the date listed for that drawing in the right column listed below. If the drawing is not listed, no changes have been made to it.
"

I think I heard about builders getting emails about some of the changes also...:)

Van's website is actually quite specific about this....

"RV-12 Revisions/Changes

Important!
The ‘revision level’ of a drawing may or may not change depending on the revision’s significance to the builder.

To confirm that you have the most recent information on a particular drawing, compare the date on your drawing with the date listed for that drawing in the right column listed below. If the drawing is not listed, no changes have been made to it.
"

I think I heard about builders getting emails about some of the changes also...:)

You call that specific. All that says is a revision level may or may not change and tells you how to check your drawings. It makes no mention as to if I purchase a set of drawings today, if all the revised pages have been included in it. That is why I asked the question and was told yes all the revised pages will be in a newly purchased set of plans. And they are not, so I thought a warning was in order.

Last edited:
It's a test

If you can get by that frustration, then you will be a successful builder. :):):)

John Bender

The Safest Route-only takes a few extra minutes

Van's recent general updates have addressed this a bit and it is now clear they are making us accountable for double-checking.

I just print every single revision on regular letter-sized paper as they are released and place it in a binder. As I build and move from page to page, I then check my updates binder to see if there is a revision. In addition, when I received my tailkit, I went through the plans that came with the kit and marked pages that had revisions.

Now if we could just get them to identify what the revisions are without having to compare every word, drawing, etc with the old.

Back