What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Unwanted tone RX by comm radio

corbinace

I am getting a strange tone in my comm. radio on one frequency. I have a Terra TX 760D.

The problem has at least two possible clues.

First for several years I have intermittantly gotten a dual tone when coming into my home area monitoring 123.0, It is kind of an EE-AH sound resembling a donkey. (now stop laughing) It is on a maybe 60 second interval and a very strong signal. I had a guy with some radio monitoring equipment try to hear it a couple of hours after landing one day and we could not find it.

Next clue. I just got an APRS tracker, Micro-Trak RTG. When this unit transmits on 144.35, I get a similar tone. It is different in pitch and not quite as noticeable a difference in front and back as the other tone but still very similar. I can tune .02 up or down and the APRS tone is gone.

This is not an antennas, cables or power supply too close issue as I ran the unit off of my pickup 30 feet away and listened to the airplane via the headset I had placed on the cowl.

Next I listened on 123.0 with my handheld while the APRS transmitted and no tone is heard on the Garmin handheld.

Is this maybe some kind of ?multiples of frequency? issue that I can maybe filter out some way?

Is this more likely a problem with the radio or the airframe and wiring?

If it is the radio, is it possibly repairable or should I just write it off and get a good radio?

I stand ready to learn, thanks for your thoughts on this issue.

Tim.

Image Frequency

I'd be willing to bet that you're listening to the image of 144.39. You can Google superheterodyne for a more in depth explanation, but basically modern radio receivers convert the signal they're receiving to a fixed Intermediate Frequency (IF) using a local oscillator and mixer before demodulating the signal.

The math work out like this:
Local Oscillator Freq: 133.7
-Received Frequency: 123.0
------------------------------------------------------
= Intermediate Freq: 10.7 (a very standard frequency)

Received Frequency: 144.39
- Local Oscillator Freq: 133.7 (the same one)
------------------------------------------------------
= Intermediate Freq: 10.69 (close enough to cause a problem)

The other radio that doesn't have the problem either has a much better front end filter, or it has a different IF (more likely).

There probably isn't a whole lot that can be done if the 144.39 signal is relatively strong.

FWIW,
Paige

Thank you Paige,

I will go and do the google search you mentioned. I am pretty new to this RF stuff but it is very interesting to me.

OK, I am back from doing a bit of learning.

Would it stand to reason that I may be able to hear it on 133.7 as well? I will check that area of frequencies tomorrow.

Tim.

Last edited:
There will only be two image frequencies for 144.39 using a 10.7 MHz IF:
122.99 (133.69 LO), and 165.79 (155.09 LO). If you tune up 133.69, you should get a mixing product near DC, which shouldn't make it through the IF section of the radio. Having said that, there is a possibility that it could overload the mixer and desensitize the receiver, interfering with reception on that frequency. You might also be able to hear the LO on a 2M receiver (144.4 if you tune 133.7)

Hope that helps.

Paige

Back