What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Unusual RVs that you know of?

Thanks for your replies. <SNIP> Adding this link to this thread: https://www.kitplanes.com/rotax-anyone/ An RV 4 with a 915.

Yes, I had mentioned it on my list. It's very cool. (And I appreciate the parachute installation about as much as the engine installation).

I saw an RV-something once upon a time that had RV-4 wings with tapered ailerons and a Continental 0300 or 0-360 attached to a (mostly) RV-6 fuselage. Pilot/owner said it flew very well.

For some reason, that reminded me: Once I saw a classified ad for an RV-8 for sale that had an O-470 in the nose. Huge nose, clearly a cowl from another airplane whose lines did not flow into the RV-8 fuselage super well. I wonder if I can find a picture of it...

Most open cockpit airplanes are pretty slow. (...) . In an RV, cruising at typical open cockpit speeds, on that “nice” day, many will struggle with engine/oil cooling.

That's a good point!

I've seen an RV-6A with a Mazda rotary engine. The unusual thing is that it was over 100 miles from home base and apparently running and flying well.

Well if auto conversions count, there was a Mazda Wankel Rotary in a RV-6 in So Cal. And I'm sure many others.

I remember once seeing a Mazda-powered RV-6... or was it a 6A? I was just getting into RVs at the time (so, like, maybe late 2011 / early 2012) and it did not occur to me to look up more details... but now that I finally did, here's what I found:

Unfortunately, like a few of the other airplanes on this thread...

Last edited:
Back