What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

unmodified RV-7 slider with 2 bikes

Flflyer

I'm on a road trip now in my new (buyer, not builder) RV7. After reading some of the posts about bikes in the back, I felt like there must be an easier solution than spending some major $$$ for a Dahon folder.
First of all, I have an ancient, 20" American made folding bike that fits in the back with no modification to the canopy, such as the tip-up mod. After putting that in the back and eyeballing it, measuring it, and shopping some, I found a stock, cheap bike that allows me to carry 2 easily in the back with no mods, not even taking off the pedals of the bikes, (they do have folding pedals, but they add almost 2 inches in width compared to removing the outside, right, pedal).
http://www.citizenbike.com/catalog.asp?product_category_id=1&product_id=10
It's a 16" model, very inexpensive, (>$200 each delivered in 1 day) but has decent ride, 6 speeds, great brakes, light weight, and comes with rack, kickstand, and fenders. The folding latches have safety catches like a car hood, in case the main clamp screw comes loose or something. Of course, I prefer the Montague 26" bikes that I keep in my Skywagon, but these seem to be perfectly suited for the RV. The brakes are actually better on these than the Montagues because there is more leverage with the smaller diameter wheels, plus, they have less dial-out (wobble) as they spin, allowing closer brake adjustment. They don't stick up any higher than the top of the back of the RV seat, either. I have no affiliation with any bike company, just a consumer.
I fold them up, tie them together with the included velcro strap, so they don't start to unfold as I hold them horizontally during ingress/egress. I feel it's easier for me to put them in with the seat/seatpost pulled out. The seatpost is something like a rough powdercoating which helps it hold with less clamping force, and is not oily at all, so they're easy to handle.
So, grab the bike, hold it sideways, put one knee up on the wingwalk, then carefully lay it on the towel over the seatbacks. Reposition yourself a little, then lower it down to the middle of the baggage compartment. A little piece of cardboard will allow you to then slide it over to the side. I put mine wheels down. The 2nd bike goes in the same way, (or you could stand on the opposite side, too), and this one will require pulling the shoulder harnesses to the side, since you can't put the 2nd bike in the middle, it will have to be lowered in to the remaining space. Then find a gap near the front of the compartment to drop the seat/post assemblies in, cover the bikes with the towels, and pull the shoulder harnesses over the tops of the bikes, which will, with harnesses worn, tend to contain them from hitting the canopy in a severe negative-G jolt, and the seatback support post of the plane will contain them from coming forward in a frontal deceleration.
I will cut some cardboard next time, to put along the side and back walls to avoid damage. For this trip, I positioned small, soft duffels of clothes to keep them from the sides We put heavy items in small bags that my wife could hold or put just in front of the seat on the floor. With the control stick removed on her side, she also had room to put a lot more stuff up there for rough air/landing/take offs.
I calculated the CG very near the rear limit with low fuel (0360, Sensenich FP cruise, firewall battery, rear ELT and pitch servo), but it handled fine. Yes, the stick force per G was reduced, but the plane seems to be so nicely designed that it still feels steady, if not incredibly, dynamically so at rear CG. Big crosswind landing seemed to have plenty of rudder force without tending to overcorrect.
Another plus with these little bikes is that they fit easily in a compact rental car if you want to drive to a nice biking area, since much of the USA doesn't have continuous bike trails or wide lanes, and for us, it's more fun to go to a place that's not stressful to bike on.
Water bottle holders look like they could be easily attached to the seatposts, since they stick up so far when installed. The amazing useful load of these planes makes me wonder how much could be put in the right floorboard if the rudder pedals weren't there. Hmmm.....Any thoughts on that?

My Dahon folders went in the back of the Bearhawk just fine, but then so did the full size bikes. I'm not sure they'll go in the -6. Can you post a couple of photos of the bikes in your -7?

Improve the CG

If you want to improve the CG situation you can add a landoll harmonic balancer to the flywheel/starter ring (about $400), I did this on my -7 with the same 0-360 FP Sensenich setup you have (which tends to aft CG in the 7) and can now carry the full 100lbs of baggage load and min fuel and still be in CG. It adds around 12lbs right on the nose and in my case certainly seems to smooth the motor at cruise rpm.

Photos of 2 bikes in unmodified RV7

OK, here's some photos. I just loaded them quickly without any padding for the clarity of the pictures. There's two ways to fold them, with the front wheel turned 180 degrees before folding, and not. This affects the position of the handlebars, whether or not they are between the wheels or on the outside. For this demo, I folded the easy way on the brown bike (wheel not turned around), and the other way for the blue bike. There is room to skoot the bikes forward or backward to insert cushions, cardboard pieces, towels, duffel bags, etc. to protect against metal-on-metal chafing. There's a lot more space than it seems, as you guys know, it's a weight thing. 29 pounds with the kick stand, rack, and both fenders per bike isn't bad.....aluminum frame 20" bikes will cost a bundle and weigh the same with accessories, unless you go titanium.......which would make loading even easier!

The first time I put them in, I had both bikes wheels on the baggage floor, but this time it seemed way easier to put the 2nd bike in from the opposite side and with the wheels pointing upward in the baggage compartment. In either case, I hold the horizontally with one hand, put a knee on the wing walk, and steady the bike with the other hand. It gets pretty close, but by having a towel or pad on the seat backs, you can rest it on there while you carefully make the necessary angle changes. I leave the seat posts separate to reduce weight and bulk while maneuvering at almost arm's length.

That other bike, in a previous post and many like it, that have the suspension link behind the seat will be too long to fit 2 in the back, unless you stack them well above the seat height. I like your sense of humor, since it would definitely fit in an RV! Also, 2 20" bikes will likely involve some disassembly and/or tip up mod. This little 16" bike rides fine for getting around town.

Thanks for the tip about the harmonic balancer. At the moment, after just reweighing the plane with all my 'junk' (headsets, tool bag, charts, flashlights, GPS's) in it as empty weight, I still have 92 pounds for luggage, thanks to a very skinny wife. What happens to the crankshaft during loops with that extra weight? My Decathlon used to have a constant speed prop, which is a lot of extra weight on the crank, but that AEIO engine may be designed for more of that kind of stress. But, I like the idea of the extra weight out front, since the RV7 doesn't seem to have a weight lifting problem at all, just CG limit for baggage

wheelsdownloading.jpg

roomtoloaduprightorleaningforward.jpg

handlebarsonoutsidethistime.jpg

notquiteascloseasthislookstothecano.jpg

plentyofroomtoslidethemfrontwardorb.jpg

Balancer weight on crank

I do not have a definitive answer but you can email Mark Landoll directly at [email protected] . I suspect it is not an issue as it essentially puts a similar load on the crank to that which would be imposed by a constant speed prop setup which is what people seem to prefer for aerobatics anyway.
Dave

thanks for the contact info

...about the harmonic balancer. I did a spread sheet weight and balance after weighing my plane, and with that balancer, there's no conceivable out of cg condition possible without exceeding the 100lb baggage limit with our weights. That would mean 2 bikes plus 42 lbs. bags. While leveling it during the weighing, I saw that doing a wheel landing leaves 9" clearance, minus gear deflection, which is less than I thought, but OK if I keep the grass cut on my strip.

Back