What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Unknown holes in seat pan

wingtime

Well Known Member
I was working on my center section last night clecoing on the forward seat pans or skins. I noticed a rectangular hole about 1" x 2" a few inches aft of the control stick opening. This hole is NOT depicted on my drawings. What is this for? Some sort of a crotch strap or something? :rolleyes:

wingtime said:
I noticed a rectangular hole about 1" x 2" a few inches aft of the control stick opening. This hole is NOT depicted on my drawings. What is this for?

It is for the catheter - see drawing 81.

;)

Do it now? or later?

Ok I found the 5-pt crotch strap kit in Van's online catalog. I assume by Dans input it would be wise to put it in now even if I'm not planning a 5-point harness at this time. That way if I decide I want one in the future it would be ready to go. Is this correct or is this something that can be added to a completed rv?

wingtime said:
Ok I found the 5-pt crotch strap kit in Van's online catalog. I assume by Dans input it would be wise to put it in now even if I'm not planning a 5-point harness at this time. That way if I decide I want one in the future it would be ready to go. Is this correct or is this something that can be added to a completed rv?

I'd say put it in. In fact, I like having a crotch strap even for non aerobatic flight. In the event of a crash it prevents submarining under the strap or even ending up in the back like someone reported on the matronics list a few years ago.

I suggest installing the crotch strap kit in the center section before mating it with the aft section. It's much easier to do before the side skins are in the way.

Back