What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

uneven tire wear

bobnoffs

Well Known Member
my main gear tires are wearing fast on the outboard edge. right tire is wearing faster. i imagine this is due to right seat is usually empty. i know shims are made for toe -in/ toe-out. could these be used to make the tire sit more ''upright''?
is it acceptable to move the mounted tires to rotate them or should they be dismounted? thanks for any advice.

my main gear tires are wearing fast on the outboard edge. right tire is wearing faster. i imagine this is due to right seat is usually empty. i know shims are made for toe -in/ toe-out. could these be used to make the tire sit more ''upright''?
is it acceptable to move the mounted tires to rotate them or should they be dismounted? thanks for any advice.
Yes. Very common to flip a tire on the rim halfway through its life, not rotate left to right.

I had this very problem about a year ago (after only a year or so of flying). I was really disappointed they only lasted a year (or just under a year!).

All I really did, after a lot of researching on this forum, is buy new tires and tubes, put them on, paying extra attention to bearing drag (not that it matters much regarding tire wear, but maybe), and now I really stay off the brakes as much as possible while taxiing or landing. They seem to be holding up a lot better than the original tires even though they are the exact same size and brand (from Van's).

As a side note, I also might add that for the first 10 or so flight hours, my brakes were really dragging, but fixed that and all is good now. I had the bolts at the bottom of the brake pedals, holding the calipers, way too tight, not allowing the brakes to fully release every time. Someone with WAY more RV time than any of use noted this, so I fixed it. It would probably have taken me way longer to figure that out had he not noticed it and pointed it out.

I put new main tires and tubes on at ~ 60 hrs of flight time (don't have the aircraft log here at the moment to check). As stated above, all seems good now without additional alignment work, or anything else really

Just food for thought.

Back