What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Undesirable twist in Flaps

Hornet2008

Well Known Member
In the construction notes it mentions building an undesirable twist into the flap if care isn't taken, however, there is no mention of what or how much is undesirable. I have a 4mm( about 3/16") twist that I feel is insignificant. So how much is undesirable? I still have one flap to finish.

Hi Pete-
The answer is you won't know until you fly. I have more than 3/16" in mine and, more problematically, I built them both on the same table (which must not have been perfectly flat) so the outboard edge of my right is down about 1/4" and the outboard end of my left is about 1/4" up. (This is the worst combination possible.) The net result is that I think this is the source of a bit of left wing heaviness for me. Having said all this, and consistent with feedback Van's has given me on this issue, with the 8-ft length of the -9's flaps, I would be very surprised if everyone doesn't have a bit of twist. The larger issue is whether the twist that does exist gets itself cancelled out somewhere else in the airframe. The best answer I can provide is that your twist appears to be less than mine and my plane flies very nicely, albeit with a bit of aileron trim. Perhaps like me, you'll just plan to fly first and then decide later whether you need to rebuilt the flaps. You'll also know a bit more about what your options are when the wings are on the fuselage and you have a chance to see how the flap fits vis-a-vis the fuse.
Hope this helps. Don't get too discouraged about it at this point. Good luck.
Steve

Last edited:
Flap Twist

That seems like a huge amount. When I fist flew my plane there was a slight left wing heavy. On examination I found that the right flap was slightly lower than the left. I adjusted the flap linkage 1/2 turn at a time (1/64 inch). The total adjustment was 1 turn to get it to fly straight. After each adjustment I also adjusted the right aileron to match.

With opposite twist in your flaps it seems like you would be better off adjusting the flap linkage to minimize the impact rather than using aileron trim.

John Oliveira
N709RV - 90054

Back