What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Uncoordinated flight

I've been flying my 7A in phase 1. The plane flys straight and true but with full flaps, I get about a half ball deflection to the right. I have 1 degree difference between the flaps when fully deployed. Anyone experience this with their 7A?

flap position-- installed

not that I'm prepared to help you if you can answer this question, but it may help others to help you.

Do you have any change in aileron input after the configuration change?

If the flaps in a different position (even slightly different positions) from root to tip or leading to trailing-edge, you will get a rolling moment that would only be evident with the flaps down.

Take a look at the condition at a few different speeds too. My guess is that this wouldn't be too pronounced at slower speeds.

Last edited:
At what speed ....

Remember you have 1/4" offset in the HS so it's not likely to be perfectly coordinated at all airspeeds. If it's close at cruise, I wouldn't worry about 1/2 ball with flaps at flap speed assuming the flaps are deploying symmetrically.

As already mentioned, yaw trim will only be correct for one condition (airspeed, power setting, etc.) anything that changes you away from that condition (slowing to or below Vfe, etc.). With an off set vertical stab, it is normal to need to use some left rudder in a high speed power off decent.
See if the trim is off the same amount at the flap speed but with the flaps up.
Also check the influence of power on vs power off.

The main thing to keep in mind is that unless you have an in flight adjustable rudder trim, you will always have flight conditions where yaw trim is not exactly balanced. Most people adjust for the cruise condition they will be in most of the time and then not worry about the rest.

Back