What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

UHMW Tape

pauldan181

Well Known Member
Has anybody found a local source for this stuff. I got the 10' roll from Van's to replace the tape on my flaps at annual and managed to bollix up one side.
Thanks

Paul Danclovic
Jamestown NC
RV-8A N181SB

Hi Paul,

I can't comment on a "local supplier".

I get mine from McMaster Carr on the net-----they have any width you might want.

I use it anywhere fg and metal or fg to fg meet--ie intersection fairing to gear leg fairing.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

db

Last edited:
Avery Tool and Vince Frazier

Both places sell it. There's a lot of posts on the forum about putting it under the wing skin instead of on the flap itself. I just went through the aggravation of removing the old tape and am trying the under-wing method.

While putting the UHMW tape under the wing looks a lot cleaner than putting it on the flap surface, be aware that eventually dirt/grit will eventually embed itself into the tape which will then scratch the paint on your flaps. I've been told - but have not done it myself yet - that the Rock Blocker type of clear tape holds up better and will not yellow with sunlight (like UHMW will) and hence would be acceptable on the flap itself - avoiding the paint scratching problem.

Mark Olson RV-7A F1-EVO Rocket

When Wipaire painted my airplane they put this stuff on my flaps, nose gear fairing, and nose wheel pant, at my direction. Click on the leading edge protection link. They told me they had far better results with this than with UHMW tape. It goes on wet with a solution of distilled water and dish detergent, so is fairly easy to move around a little bit during installation. It never turns yellow. It feels more like a soft vinyl or neoprene and is a bit thicker than UHMW. I recently removed and replaced the covering on my nose gear fairing and nose gear pant. It comes off pretty easily with no paint damage, and the new material installed easily after I did some repair work. My only issue is this. My fancy(expensive!!) locking gas caps siphon a bit of fuel right out of the key slot on climbout with full tanks.
This issue with these caps has been discussed in these forums. That fuel runs off the back of the wing and a tiny bit has worked its way under the leading edge of the flap protective material. A bit of blue stain is clearly visible under the material now. It has not affected the tape at all, but doesn't look very good. I will replace the tape at my next condition inspection and will see if I can lay a very thin bead of clear RTV, or some other fuel tolerant material right along the forward edge of the protective material. I now am careful about not topping off the tanks right to the top and that helps. But, sometimes a guy wants all the fuel he can get!:D Obviously, this would not be a problem for airplanes with non-siphoning gas caps!:rolleyes:
The material is expensive, but IMHO, is way better than UHMW. No yellowing, and installation and removal are pretty easy.

$.02 worth

Last edited:
I've been told - but have not done it myself yet - that the Rock Blocker type of clear tape holds up better and will not yellow with sunlight (like UHMW will) and hence would be acceptable on the flap itself - avoiding the paint scratching problem.

Anybody know where to get this Rock Blocker tape? I've been replacing the flap tape every year and never had a problem. The last job on my annual was to apply the tape, install the flaps and go fly. I didn't want to wait a couple of days to order some more so I flew with a wrinkly tape job on one side. Of course when I stopped for fuel somebody came over and zoomed right in on that flap. Oh well...

Paul Danclovic
Jamestown NC
RV-8A N181SB

Here's one source: www.flyboyaccessories.com

Look for the paint protection film in the Heat, Sound, Paint and Trim section.

I have no affiliation with Vince (the owner of the site) other than having bought items from him in the past.

While putting the UHMW tape under the wing looks a lot cleaner than putting it on the flap surface, be aware that eventually dirt/grit will eventually embed itself into the tape which will then scratch the paint on your flaps. I've been told - but have not done it myself yet - that the Rock Blocker type of clear tape holds up better and will not yellow with sunlight (like UHMW will) and hence would be acceptable on the flap itself - avoiding the paint scratching problem.

Not so for the RV-9 (and maybe the -10) due to the fowler flaps. The only time the flaps hit the wing skin is the last little bit when they are fully retracted.

Use Stainless Steel Tape

Use Stainless Steel Tape as Van originally designed it before they went to the plastic tape. 7 years of flight operations and it still looks like new.

Bob Axsom

Use Stainless Steel Tape as Van originally designed it before they went to the plastic tape. 7 years of flight operations and it still looks like new.

Bob Axsom

I'm thinking of going with the SS tape on the new bird, since Louise's RV-6 has it, and it's been in service for just shy of 21 years! Anyone have a source?

As a data point, the first round of "clear" tape lasted on the Valkyrie for about 5 years and 1150 hours before it started cracking off. It had yellowed a bit by that time as well.

How to get it off

I just put the Vans tape on the flaps after paint, how easy is it to get it off without ruining the paint? After the install I noticed I had put finger prints on the underside of the tape that now show through:mad:

I'm thinking of going with the SS tape on the new bird, since Louise's RV-6 has it, and it's been in service for just shy of 21 years! Anyone have a source?

A quick google shows JC Whitney has it in all sizes. I'm going to go this route. I used a lot of SS tape years ago (not RV related) and have the scars to prove it, just be careful, it's like handleing razor blades.

Paul Danclovic
Jamestown NC
RV-8A N181SB

Right tape for the Right job.....?

Just giving some thought to the UHMW tape vs anti-abrasion film........2 different things.
ONe is to allow things like the canopy skirt or flap to slide past another surface, the other is to protect paint from FOD.
I had UHMW on a few places where it was exposed to sunlight, and it yellowed and became fossilized in a couple years, (tied down outside.)
really a beech to remove! Never again!
I agree the -9 flaps probably don't need anything at all....dirt will likely scuff paint regardless of whether it's touching other paint... or tape.

I wish that there was a way for everyone on this forum to see the PPF that's been on my Rocket for 7 years now. It is still perfect. And the paint underneath is also... no chips, no scratches, no nothing.

The advantages of the PPF over SS are that the SS scuffs, wrinkles, and causes massive bleeding when (not if) you cut your fingers during installation or routine cleaning. Been there, done that.

The advantages of PPF over UHMW tape are too numerous to count.

The PPF is easily removable, without leaving any residue, and without damaging your paint. I have removed pieces for maintenance recently, after 7 years, and the PPF comes off with zero problems.

The bottom line is that PPF is specifically designed for the job of protecting your expensive paint.... the other products are not.

2" width

4" width

I wish that there was a way for everyone on this forum to see the PPF that's been on my Rocket for 7 years now. It is still perfect. And the paint underneath is also... no chips, no scratches, no nothing.

The advantages of the PPF over SS are that the SS scuffs, wrinkles, and causes massive bleeding when (not if) you cut your fingers during installation or routine cleaning. Been there, done that.

The PPF is easily removable, without leaving any residue, and without damaging your paint. I have removed pieces for maintenance recently, after 7 years, and the PPF comes off with zero problems.

The bottom line is that PPF is specifically designed for the job of protecting your expensive paint.... the other products are not.

2" width

4" width

This sounds very similar to the leading edge tape I mentioned in my post yesterday. Being able to buy the 3M product by the foot from Flyboys is nice. The P-M stuff is actually cheaper, but you won't need to buy 60' of it.

Last edited:

2" width

4" width

Hi Vince,

I need some of that 4" and a tee shirt or two... will make an order this week. :)

Back