What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

U-Haul Sizing

lampwins

Patron
I am planning to move a partially completed set of kits and want to check on sizing as I plan to rent a U-Haul.

The fuse and tail cone are attached but not on gear, nor anything FWF yet. Would this fit in a 20' truck along with one assembled wing in some sort of transport cradle? The other wing parts are in the original crate. The emp and 1 wing's control surfaces are assembled, but I'm sure we can fit them in the free space.

Let me know what you think or prior experiences. Thanks!

Maybe ask the seller to pull a tape measure along the fuse and pass on the total length to you??

Last edited:
24' min

I used a 24' u haul to bring a framed up 8 home. Stab will need to come off.

20' is too short. They measure the top, not the box, so the actual usable length is ~16'

Laird

I used a standard 20 ft shipping container to ship my completed RV6 to NZ.The prop was removed and empennage removed but the fuselage fitted ok with the wings alongside in a cradle.

When moving my RV-3 to the airport I hung wings on the side walls. Seem to remember there are rails along the walls that are perfect for that.
Obviously moving (or other) blankets between wings and walls.
That way no need for cradles to take up floor space.

Finn

What FinnFlyer said. Sold a Kolb to a guy who trucked it to the coast like that. The wings were nicely secure.

Dave

Back