What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

U-810 Wheel Pant Bracket

TCONROY

Well Known Member
I'd like to get the U-810 bracket powder coated now (along with the spacers) but need to get the wheel pant bracket holes drilled first. Are most folks drilling those holes before mounting the wheel pants (and transferring to the pants) or drilling them when the wheel pant is fitted for the first time?

Anyone? I've seen lots of wheel pants attached to RV's out there so someone must have an idea :D

Doing the wheel pants now (and maybe again)

I drilled through the fiberglass using a back light to see the edges of the bracket. Didn't really like the results. Not too centered on the plate but serviceable.
The fiberglass is clear enough to see shadows. If I had to do it again (and I might) I would drill the holes in the bracket then insert an LED in the plate nut to guide the drill for the fiberglass. Doing this you could powder coat in advance.

One other thought for the group. I always felt that powder coating was somewhat brittle. Not really sure if I would consider it for a part that will see so much flex. More of a fan of epoxy based primers for these areas.

Trevor,

I think you could do it either way, but It's probably easier, and more accurate to leave it and drill in assembly when fitting the pant.

Start with #40 holes

I drilled #40 holes in the bracket to start with and then drilled through the fairings (using a light behind the brackets as others have suggested). The advantage of the smaller hole is a more precise pin point of light to aim for.

Also, even if your #40 hole through the fairing is fractionally off, the hole in the bracket will pull the bit across and you can correct any elongation of the holes as you work up to #30 and then to final size.

Back