What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

U-403 brake flange to axle attachment

LarryT

Well Known Member
I am still observing and trying to learn about my new to me RV-6A.

The last item on the annual was repacking wheel bearings. I discovered that the U-403 brake flange could rotate slightly on the axle. To me this means all of the brake load is reacted in double shear on the attaching bolt. Is this normal?

Larry

U-403 questions

I am starting to put my wheels together and was thinking that if someone drilled up the hole for the bolt that goes through the U403 and the axle shaft to a 5/16 size that it could have some extra play in it. Not sure if this could have the case with yours or not, but it is likely as the plans call for drilling the U-403 with a 5/16 drill.

I am not sure if in this situation if one could locate an oversized bolt to hold the U403 on to the axle or not, but I would think you don't want any play in this bolt and the axle. I am thinking about getting an undersized .310 reamer to drill through the U-403 and the axle in order to get a good tight fit for that bolt....

Would be interested in hearing what other experienced owners/builders say as well.

Paul

No, there should be no movement...

...between the U-403 brake flange and the wheel axle. If you have the drawings, look at Drawing #C2, co-ordinate E-9.

Also look at the construction manual pages 10-1 where it describes "Installing The Wheels And Brakes". In part,...the U-403 has been honed to fit the axle at the factory. Also, "one side of the U-403 is undersized, so before final instalation, pass a 5/16 drill through the assembly."

U-403

My two cents,

I just put my gear legs and wheels together. The U-403 matings were tight. The second side of the hole was not really "undersize" but I am the second owner of the kit. The "bolts" I have are not AN bolts but special socket head cap bolts with 1/4 threads-unusual but it is a tight spot. The sides of the bolts are well machined to make it a snug fit...not press fit or anything like that but not a loose clearance either.

I may be wrong but I think the early kits had to have the holes drilled by the builder and not drilled from the factory. Ormsdorf's videos describe the procedure. If you redo the U-403, make sure the position is correct (it will affect brake location and wheel pant fit) and my suggestion is to not use a 5/16 drill bit. Drill the holes in the U-403 sides undersize and ream for final fit to the gear leg. There are a couple of undersize reamers you could use. Look in Avery's catalog.

Dave A.
6A build

Back