What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Type of FOAM in the Vans Airbox Kit

RV8R999

Well Known Member
Does anyone know what type of foam that was included in the airbox kit for making the composite inlet extension? That was great stuff for easy shaping and making composite parts and I'd like to get a bunch more of it in larger sizes.

I really do not like the stock emp fairing under the stab. The top glass part is fine but the metal and rubber fairing on the underside is kinda cheesy IMHO. I'd like to extend the upper glass'd fairing around the leading edge and aft along the underside of the stab all in one glass'd piece. The foam would be easy to shape while in place.

Thanks!

Ken

I'm interested in the type of foam as well - woudl be nice to have for certain composite jobs! As for extending the fairing under the tail, that is exactly what I did, and I just used clay to make the form - it didn't take very much, and was easy to shape with a spoon.

Paul

Paul - actually I do intend on using clay as the female form but wanted some foam to make the male side as I was concerned maybe the glass wouldn't stick well enough upside down to maintain the shape while it is setting. I take it from your experience this was not a problem?

Thanks!
Ken

try this
http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/cmpages/urethanefoam.php
It is so easy to shape. You can actually use a piece of foam as a sanding block. learned the trick from an EZ builder.

I used it to make this
CIMG3459.JPG

Industrial duct insulation foam

This type of foam they used to insulate ducts in commercial buildings. We were installing new heating/cooling unit recently and discarded thousands of sq feet of this stuff. I'll try to located markings tomorrow if there are any sheets left. It takes shape very good, I used it to make air inlets for my plenum.

Try Walmart arts and crafts, they have some small blocks or arts and crafts store

Bruce 9A

Foam

I actually found some great foam blocks at the local Michaels but as Paul pointed out it really wasn't needed for the emp fairing mod i had in mind as the clay was plenty sticky enough to keep the glass from falling off while setting. I actually taped the dry glass in place along each edge and wetted with resin after it was all laid out..
wh1d2h.jpg

I got some foam at Michael's (arts & crafts) that they use to make artificial flower arrangements. It is rigid, cuts, and sands very easily, is cheap, and comes in different sizes.

Back