What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Two RS-232 Transmitters

lr172

Well Known Member
I have a D100 EFIS that is interfaced with My SL-30. I am using the D100 as my CDI/OBS, so need both Tx & Rx between the D100 and SL-30. However, I would also like to connect my 396 to the SL-30 to get the nearby frequencies sent over, but the SL-30 only has one Tx/Rx pair.

I am wondering if I can I bridge the 396 Tx onto the D100 Tx/SL-30 Rx? I know that electrically I can, but am concerned with what happens when the messages collide from the two Tx devices. Will the error generate a request to re-transmit whatever the D100 sent that was over-written.

Has anyone done anything like this in the past with success?

Larry

You cannot hook two RS-232 transmitters together. They will collide even when not sending data.

The HS34 will allow data to make it from the 396 to the SL-30, but without that there is not a way.

Short answer is no. A TX can split and go to multiple RX but each RX must have only one TX feeding it.

You cannot hook two RS-232 transmitters together. They will collide even when not sending data.

The HS34 will allow data to make it from the 396 to the SL-30, but without that there is not a way.

I have an HS-34 and both the 396 and SL-30 are connected to it. So, to confirm, you are saying that the information sent to the D100/HS34 from the 396 will get captured by the D100/HS4 and passed to the SL-30 via it's transmit connection?

Thanks for your help.

Larry

I have an HS-34 and both the 396 and SL-30 are connected to it. So, to confirm, you are saying that the information sent to the D100/HS34 from the 396 will get captured by the D100/HS4 and passed to the SL-30 via it's transmit connection?

Thanks for your help.

Larry

For those following this, I confirmed today that this works as advertised.

Larry

Back