What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Two nose wheel tire tubes?

Jeff R

Well Known Member
I saw that I have two tire tubes for my nose gear tire/wheel. Any idea why I would have two???

"Smoker" from the Medina (OH) Air Farce

To: L Adamson,

You put one tube inside the tire and the other one in the baggage compartment. That way you will have one handy when ( not if) the first one goes flat. :rolleyes:
Do a search on how to mount your tire. Best advice is to use liberal amounts of tire talc (baby power). This may help with the flexing of the sidewalls, which in turn, can cause chaffing on the tube. ( Ask me how I know) And of course don't pinch the tube in the wheel halves, when installing the tire.

Regards,

Bernie Ockuly
Cleveland, Ohio RV7 "A". . . and proud of it.
N914E, 458 hrs, 977 landings, 861 rolls (mostly jelly filled) since 9/11/05
L.G.I.T.W.

OK all you macho TD types, go ahead and chime in about where to put the third wheel, yada, yada, Hey, let's face it. . . all RV's are fantastic. The only bad RV's are the ones sitting in hangars gathering dust.

Last edited:
It's a backup ...

If my experience (and others) are a pattern, there's a good change you'll cut through one tube when assembling the nosewheel ;o) You'll be glad you've got a spare!

Thanks, seems strange that Van's would send a spare tube that must cost a few bucks but they won't supply a single extra 2 cent washer.

I did get the tire assembled without any problems. Now all I have to do is figure out the lube I am going to use. Van's recommends Aeroshell 5, but the archives have other recommendations, including automotive lube.

Yep!

I assembled my nose wheel yesterday. It was flat today. When I put air in it, I can hear the air escaping. And, it is not the valve stem. I am guessing I pinched it trying to do the tire assembly by myself using a vice. Glad they sent me two. I'll probably go ahead and order another spare with my next A/S order.

2nd tube

I assembled my nose wheel yesterday. It was flat today. When I put air in it, I can hear the air escaping. And, it is not the valve stem. I am guessing I pinched it trying to do the tire assembly by myself using a vice. Glad they sent me two. I'll probably go ahead and order another spare with my next A/S order.
Been there, done that.:eek:
Mike H 9A/8A

I received two tubes also, and the quantity on pic list also showed two, so I figured that Van had some idea that I needed two...he had just neglected to tell me why.

I ended up calling Van's and the answer was that these nose wheel tubes were difficult to find when you "really" needed one, so as a standard practice, they include two with the kit.

Yep, I pinched my first tube. Only I didn't realize another one had been included so I ordered two more (not the most confident builder). So now I've got two extra because I installed one yesterday and it held up fine. Just lots of babying and checking to hear the clink of metal together before inserting and tightening bolts.

I ended up calling Van's and the answer was that these nose wheel tubes were difficult to find when you "really" needed one, so as a standard practice, they include two with the kit.

I am still amazed they give two. There are a lot of cheaper things people mess up that they don't give a spare for (K1000-8 nutplates, for example, as well as cotter pins, which are pennies, but not a spare to be found), not that I am complaining!

I did get the tubes for all tires installed successfully, so I guess I will put the spare tube in storage. Now I get to play with grease.

While on the subject of tubes, and if anyone is still reading, for the main tires, the stems have a nut as well as a yellow cap. The nut does go on the outside, right?

Back