What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

TW stinger and bracket, to paint or powder coat?

N941WR

Legacy Member
I?m at the point where I need to do something with the TW stinger (spring) and bracket but I?m not sure what.

Realizing that the TW spring will see some abuse (rocks, grass, dirt, etc) and get scratched, dented, and what have you. Should I paint the thing or have it powder coated?

For those of you who are flying, what is the best form of protection?

(For the record, I have already spoken to an IA about baking the TW spring and he doesn?t think it will be an issue.)

Thanks for the help.

Last edited:
TW stinger

Hi Bill,

I'm tearing down for paint now and have been wondering the same thing. I have a local company that sends stuff out to be powder coated and may have them do it. Otherwise I'm going to clean, prime and use my 1000 degree black BBQ paint.

Darwin N. Barrie
Chandler AZ

Darwin,

I thought about using that paint but I'm not convinced it really is not 1000 degree paint as I used it to paint the calipers on my Miata, which sees some track time, and I've managed to burn the paint right off and they are back to rusting. :(

Regular paint may work just fine.

Bill

RV7Guy said:
Hi Bill,

I'm tearing down for paint now and have been wondering the same thing. I have a local company that sends stuff out to be powder coated and may have them do it. Otherwise I'm going to clean, prime and use my 1000 degree black BBQ paint.

Darwin N. Barrie
Chandler AZ

Bill--
You don't seem to be getting much help, so I'll tell you what I'm doing, for what it's worth--

I have a friend who powdercoats parts for his scratch built Super Cub. He told me to go down to Sears and pick up some powdercoating powder ($5.00) and he has one of those Sears guns (about $150). We cook it in an oven and it (the tailgear mount so far) turns out great! I'm going to probably go ahead and do the stinger and yoke as well since it's so cheap. If you have a couple builders around, buying a gun might not be a bad deal. Good luck though.

BBQ paint

N941WR said:
Darwin,

I thought about using that paint but I'm not convinced it really is not 1000 degree paint as I used it to paint the calipers on my Miata, which sees some track time, and I've managed to burn the paint right off and they are back to rusting. :(

Regular paint may work just fine.

Bill

I would sincerely hope the TW stinger does not see the heat of brake calipers!!! I used the BBQ paint to paint the glare shield and it turned out great. May use it for the TW stinger since it has the opportunity to have rocks kicked up. I hate to ruin a good powder coat job

Darwin,

Good point, the only way that tail stinger will see those type of temps is if I crash and burn, and I'm betting that won't happen.

I'm looking at painting the thing, that way it will be easier to touch up when it does get scratched.

The Sears PC kit sounds interesting but a spray can is so much easier! -- Thanks for the tip, I might be able to use it somewhere else.

Back