What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Turning the prop by hand

N941WR

Legacy Member
Just a reminder...

Standard magnetos are designed so that if the P-lead breaks, the engine keeps running. Thus, if you are turning the prop by hand and that wire broke during your last flight, the engine will fire!

Now, those of you who have P-mags might say, "not with my electronic ignition!" and go about your merry way.

Guess what? If you installed your P-mags per the instructions, if your master is on, if your ignition says off (grounded), AND you have a broken P-lead, your P-mags will fire when moving the prop.

This means, that when setting the timing on the P-mags, you are one broken wire way from a hot ignition.

Please be careful whenever turning your prop by hand!

This has been a public service announcement.

(No, this has not happened to me, YET! Just thinking about P-mag operational issues the other day.)

And please do a "Hot Mag" check just prior to shutdown, every time. That way you will find a broken P-lead shortly after it happens.

It's just a habit pattern for me.

hot

Mags should be considered hot at all times. Should be airplane 101 training. Makes me cringe when I see people leaning on a prop.

Prop arcs

I know an old pilot who gets aggravated when wingtips or stabilizer tips are in the arc of his prop in the community hangar where he keeps his two airplanes. And no, he would NEVER pose for a photo leaning on his prop.

Back