What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Turbulence and My 9A

Sunriver Ken

Well Known Member
I just completed a flight from East coast to West coast. At least 60% of the flight segments were in light to moderate (per pireps and weather briefs) turbulence. Even with my Oregon Aero seat I have to say this is the most uncomforable trip I have taken in a light GA plane. I can understand why the Bonanza I used to fly was better in turbulance (better to me means less fluctuation in aircraft attitude and bouncing) but the 9 also seems worse than my experiences in the Tiger, Cheetah, C-172 and Cherokee 180 have have previously owned and flown.

Is the light wing loading of the RV9 the reason for this?

And yes, you do need to keep those sea belts tight or Bose headset will hit the canopy.

When someone once said, that the 9 would be smoother in turbulent air...........than my 6, they were wrong! :D If I was blindfolded, without prior knowledge of the aircraft, I wouldn't be able to tell the smoother ride between the two. I guess it's because they're lighter, more agile, and usually faster! But fear not, there are those unusually smooth days, like today..

L.Adamson --- RV6A

Low wing loading combined with high speed is a pretty good formula for a rough ride. I don't see any way around it but to slow way down; maybe to the speed of that C172.

My RV-6 rides rough in bad turbulence. I accept that as a fact of physics.

Get a -10

My -6A nearly beat me to death after a cold front had passed! Had to slow it way down but the -10, with its greater mass rides much better in turbulence,

Best,

Yep, yep and yep. My -9 feels like the washing machine with the brick in it trick (I thought for sure that was my wife trying to get a new machine).

It's nice to have a "G" meter now. I have seen it go up as high as 2.5gs in turbulence. I suppose the best we can do is load it to gross on trips where the ride is supposed to be rough. Still it's pretty bad.

I normally run around with half fuel or less, when it's really windy/gusty I fill the tanks, it helps quite a bit to soften the ride.

Just like a butterfly

If you ever observed a butterfly glide from one flower to another on a hot and windy summer afternoon, you'll understand wat's going on.;)

My 9A (at least to me) feels totally different above or below 130 knots. Above, turbulence feels sharp and sometimes almost stinging. Below, it rides about like a Cherokee. I am seldom in so big a hurry that I can't slow down on a bumpy day, especially down low. Fuel load does make a difference, but I can't change that as easily as I can the speed.

As to hitting my head (I'm 6' 4",) I switched to Halo's and don't have near as much trouble. They really help. Also, keep the belt tight!

Bob

Last edited:
Back