What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tunnel wiring in System Blocks

JohnF

Well Known Member
I am wrapping up the tunnel wires and am having a devil of a time getting the tunnel harness to lay flat just forward of the middle system block so as to not be touched/scrapped by the movable section of the control system. I have the blocks solidly bolted to the aircraft skin and the top half of the blocks well tightened down, but the clearance is so minimal that there is rubbing when the control section there is moved.

Any suggestions?

Tunnel wiring

I took the leading edge angle that I cut the wing rib, trimmed it down and added it across the bowed up wire caps to hold them down. Cured my problem.

Tunnel Wiriing Sysem Blocks

Vagabond 11, do I understand it correctly? You put a small piece of aluminuim across the wires, and attached the ends of that piece to the skin? Did you rivet the ends to the skin?
Thanks for you assistance. JohnF

Use two wire ties

John,
I used one long wire-tie and just the head off from another one. Slide the wire-tie under the 3/8" fuel line. If the fuel line is up too high, then bend it down so that the wire-tie can not be pulled out. Feed the other end of the wire-tie through the existing hole in the bottom of the seat rib where it meets the bottom skin. Slide the head of the second wire-tie onto the end of the long wire-tie and push it up against the outboard side of the seat rib. No modification to the airframe is required. And I do not consider this a deviation from the plans because wire-ties are allowed.
Joe
DSCN3272a.jpg

I used Joe's idea

It works...and its easy.
Here is my picture, like Joe's
650902631_6fKxf-M.jpg

Tony

Tunnel wires

Thanks fellows: I will try this tomorrow morning. In a way I don't look forward to resolving this, because then I have to tackle the mess up forward above the rudder pedals...going to be awkward but I'm going to use the alternate method of not using Adel clamps...going to use the wireway thingy that was suggested on this site and adapted by Van's.

Thanks for the help.

Rudder Pedal wiring

Yeah, you're right...you're heading into one of the "un-fun" parts. But it does work...special adapter or not.

Tunnel wiring

No John, I used the sane two screws that hold down the wire blocks to hold down the angle. Mine blocks were bowed up in the middle allowing the wires to get rubbed by the control.
John

Back