What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tungsten bucking bars at Avery Tools

Pirkka

Well Known Member
Hi all,

just noticed that Avery Tools has set of tungsten bucking bars in their new items. So far everyone has been offering just single bucking bar but now you can choose from 4 different bars of single source:

http://www.averytools.com/pc-946-80-tungsten-steel-bucking-bars.aspx

Set of four $395 :eek:... that's a lot, but you can't get this stuff for free.

PS. Avery will have price increase after 15th this months so if you wish to take benefit of this act now.

Tungsten bars

I have quite a selection of steel bucking bars. (Some I've never used) I use my 3/4" x 3/4" x 2" tungsten bucking bar 70% of the time. It's small and it takes a walop. Works everywhere on my project, but specializes in the tight areas. One well designed tungsten bar is likely all you'll need. But for sure you should have one.:)

These are great. I bought the one by Webster and I use it 98% of the time now. It fits into tight places and works great.

The best place so far that it has worked great is under the aft and front canopy decks. I was able to shoot all of these rivets with just that single bar!

A little help here

I bought the one by Webster and I use it 98% of the time now. It fits into tight places and works great.

I've been reading a lot about these tungsten bars an thinking I'd like to have one. I like the sound of the smaller bar and was wondering exactly where you obtained yours. The ones Avery sells seem a little too big.

I have the Webster bar and it is WUNDERBAR!

:p

Okay, bad pun...

Seriously, it is the greatest thing sine sliced bread.

Get one!

:) CJ

Thanks Andy & Captain John

That's exactly the one I had in mind. I heard it was good but heard nothing about being as good as sliced bread. I LOVE SLICED BREAD!:D I just ordered one from Webster.
If I ever get this plane flying I'm going to save up my money, take a month off from work and fly over to New England and find that Hanger#5. I hear there's a airshow there everyday. ;) Can't get any better than that!
Again thanks and this is reason # 435 why I love this site. I swear it's just like having you guys sitting around my shop just waiting to answer my sometimes goofy questions.

I've finished building my first RV. But I was just helping a friend build and I have to say these new tungsten bars are the bees' knees. I'd almost be tempted to buy one just because I covet them so - but I'll force myself to wait until I start building again.

Last edited:
That's exactly the one I had in mind. I heard it was good but heard nothing about being as good as sliced bread. I LOVE SLICED BREAD!:D I just ordered one from Webster.
If I ever get this plane flying I'm going to save up my money, take a month off from work and fly over to New England and find that Hanger#5. I hear there's a airshow there everyday. ;) Can't get any better than that!
Again thanks and this is reason # 435 why I love this site. I swear it's just like having you guys sitting around my shop just waiting to answer my sometimes goofy questions.

Tom, you are welcome anytime!

I am coordinating fly-in/trap shoots for this summer! Bring your scattergun!

The gun club is right across the street from the airport!

;) CJ

I have bucked AN426 6-11 rivets with a tungsten bar from Dean Webster and a 4x rivet gun. Now I wonder why I even bother keeping the other steel bucking bars in my toolbox.

Heavy metal

Rocketbob writes Now I wonder why I even bother keeping the other steel bucking bars in my toolbox.

And, I agree totally.

Since I got my 1"x1"x2" Tungsten bar from Steinair a year ago, I haven't even taken any others out of my tool box. It's that big of an improvement.

I got mine from http://www.buckingbar.net. I think they advertise here on VAF. I love mine.

Ditto. I haven't really posted in here yet because I feel like every time there is a tungsten thread, I say the same thing, but it's true.

I use my tungsten bar 99.9% of the time. The only time I buck without it is when it won't fit somewhere (rudder tip rib TE) and I have to use something like the end of a crow bar.

I actually prefer to buck (if my dad is around to lend a hand) with my tungsten bar than to squeeze!

Got it already

Just got home to find a little package from Dean Webster sitting on my porch.
I ordered Monday night. Didn't know it was from him at first till I picked it up. I've been working with many different metals all my life but I got to tell you this little expensive piece is like something from outer space. I can't believe how heavy it is for it's size.:eek: I can't wait to use it so I'm planning a wild bucking weekend.:p
A little Cliff Claven fact here, Tungsten has the highest melting point of any metal on Earth.

Just got home to find a little package from Dean Webster sitting on my porch.
I ordered Monday night. Didn't know it was from him at first till I picked it up.

Same story here. I was expecting some electronic components, and thought that's what the tiny package was. In anticipation of a light package, I didn't grab it hard enough to actually pick it up, and my hand came away without it. I knew right then what it was :D

Very cool bucking bar :cool:

Rusty (should be riveting something now)

Back