What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tungsten Bucking Bar

jackking123

I'm New Here
Sorry Newbie question. Searched and found nothing. Simple question what shape/weight tungsten bucking bar do you recommend (for tight places, riveting on bottom wing skin or back fuselage skins, etc).

I am not new at building and have a BOX full of bucking bars. Been awhile since last project, +$170 for a 1.3lb to 1.5lb bucking bar for being denser for tight spaces is hard for a cheap skate.

Of my +10 bucking bars my smallest 3 bucking bars are 7oz, 1lb and 1.47lb.... I don't use the two light ones unless I have to, and where tungsten comes in? The 1.47lb one is like a cube with one side cut at angle about 1.75 x 3.5 x 1.75.

I want the bucking bar weight as as much as practical. My large Big Bertha is 3.87 lbs. I will use it almost always if I have room. I have a bunch in the middle plus the 3 "light" bars.

• Do you think it's worth it?
  • What shape, weight, vendor's do you recommend?
  • I have a friend with a tungsten bucking bar (hint borrow as needed, ha ha).

I'm going to guess that about 50% of my rivets were bucked with a small tungsten bar - sort of like you describe. 2 inches long, 1/2 inch thick, with an angle on one end and a square end on the other. 10% were done with a tool steel bucking bar that had a bunch of complex shapes for really hard to reach situations. The other 40% were back riveted for large sections like the fuselage or wings, where backriveting can be done quickly and consistently.

Most people I've talked to have a small variety of bucking bars for various needs. The best actual size and weight really depends on your hand size, strength, fatigue, etc.

Back