What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tube Bending Tools

MartySantic

Well Known Member
For those who have installed the fuel system tubing, would like to know which tube bender I should buy. I have been told that the bender supplied by Avery will not make the 90 degree close-in bend between the tank and fuel pump (near the fuel pump).

Same question for the 37 degree flaring tool.

check the recent thread in tools forum

Hi Marty - see the other thread I recently started...

Buy the Rolo-Flair (spelling?) 37 degree tool. You can get it from the normal RV tools places Works great - you'll do many more flares than you think :p

Don't buy the cheap tube bender that I bought, although I think I will muddle through with it. It only does 90 degree bends, which is actually OK for my plane. Details in the other thread.

check this recent thread

Hi Marty - read this thread, especially the blog post. I'd buy the one suggested. I have the simpler one, which is OK for me. I'll probably muddle through with it.

Even the cheap-o tubing benders will do all of the RV-12 tube bending (I am not familiar with the one supplied in the Avery kit, but I imagine it could be made to work). It just takes being a little creative (which requires looking at how the tool works, and figuring out how to make it do what you want).

I have been using those cheap spring over tube benders, than I wrap the bend around a suitable cylindric object like a can with the desired diameter. I used it on all my bends for my RV7, I have not had to bend something on the RV12 yet, but it worked on the RV7.

You buy a set of different diameters from harbour freight cheap.

Regards,
Rudi

I have been using those cheap spring over tube benders, than I wrap the bend around a suitable cylindric object like a can with the desired diameter. I used it on all my bends for my RV7, I have not had to bend something on the RV12 yet, but it worked on the RV7.

You buy a set of different diameters from harbour freight cheap.

Regards,
Rudi

I did the same -it's still apain though!

Oh - and remember to remove the spring before your flare both ends
Jim Sharkey

I did the same -it's still apain though! Oh - and remember to remove the spring before your flare both ends
Jim Sharkey

Yes, jim, but paying big bucks for a tools for a couple of bends, i don't know about that. PS: jip I know all about remembering to remove spring before flaring :p

Back