What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tube benders

jcaplins

Well Known Member
I am planning on getting a tube bending tool. Of the Imperial Eastman benders, there are 2 models: the 470 and the 370. Other than the $6 difference, i think they bend at a different radius. Any other differences? And which one do i want?

Thanks,

Jeff,

Probably either one. Aluminum bends easily compared to stainless, but either of these will probably work with most any tubing. I've used the 367 in the lab for many years. The main reason for the 470 would be to make bends at angles more than about 90 degrees - the 367 will go to about 100 degrees but the others can go round further. I doubt you need more than 90 degrees of bend for anything on an RV (I certainly don't remember anything that couldn't be done with the 367).

greg

If you're installing an airflow hp boost pump you may need a 180 degree bender. Fyi, the handiest benders for me were the spring benders; especially when routing fuel lines.

The 470-

is a great tool---bends 180*. Very good radius bends, without collapsing the tubing. I made a small fixture for mine to use in a vise. Works great!
Tom

My suggestion is ditch all the bending and flaring tools all together, and just go with Flex lines from TS Flightlines! The you cant beat the quality and they are so much cleaner and easier to install!

-david

Tube bender

I'm not sure it really matters and after 3 builds the tube radius bender was seldom used. The most important tool for bending fuel/hydraulic lines is the spring bender. If you don't have one you should get one.

Pat Stewart

I've used both the spring bender type and the 180 degree bender with the blue handles on the fuel lines.
1135546131_YHjHP-M.jpg

The 180 degree model is needed for lines like these.
img_1996-M.jpg

And don't be too scared of the non flex lines. For the first couple of days you will hate bending them, then you'll get the "aha!" moment - it was easy-cheezy/fun from then on.

Flaring Tool

What kind of flaring tool do you guys recommend. Are there different degrees flares, or are they all the same. I was looking at the Imperial 45 deg. Flaring Tool at sears.com for $39.

Christian

What kind of flaring tool do you guys recommend. Are there different degrees flares, or are they all the same. I was looking at the Imperial 45 deg. Flaring Tool at sears.com for $39.

Christian

Christian,

Aircraft (AN) flares are 37 degrees, so you need to make sure that you get a tool that is appropriate. All flaring tools are not alike, and this is one place (fuel and oil lines) that it is not wise to scrimp.

Paul

Back