What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

TruTrak Vizion 385 -- No GPSS

RONSIM

Well Known Member
Hooked up my new G650 to my TT 385, using the settings in the TT install manual (RS232 and ARINC) ----- I am getting regular GPS heading and nav tracking, but no indication I am getting GPSS, to use for approaches.

So far, all of my new radio stack installation "bugs" have been "self-induced" (thanks to Stein and Navworx for great harness builds!).

Not sure what I may have done with the AP hookup -- any ideas?

R.

GPS setup?

Ronsim, I remember needing to setup my Garmin 400w to talk to my Trutrak AP4 (also has GPSS). You probably did that already, but if not, you might ask support at Trutrakabout it. John

Select approach?

Remember to set the altitude to zero on your Vizion for approaches and also be sure to activate an approach, then go and fly one...then you'll know for sure. I don't believe that you can tell without actually intercepting either an ILS or LPV approach.

Best,

As Usual --- My Bad!

Thanks for the help, guys ---- I went through my settings, again (TruTrak and GPS) ---- I flew this morning and GPSS came up -----

Take care, and I hope to see everyone at Sun N Fun!

Ron

No ILS Glideslope Couple

My unit works great on RNAV/GPS coupled approaches for lateral and vertical guidance --- however, on ILS approaches, it couples the localizer, but does not take me down the glideslope. From the history, as I search, I think the TT does not couple ILS glideslope?? Please tell me I am wrong!

Thanks for the help,

Ron

Section 6.4.6 of the Vizion 380/385 pilot guide

Vertical Approach Mode (Vizion 385 Only)
The vertical approach mode allows the autopilot to couple to and track the glide slope of a GPS LPV approach. The mode is only available in GPSS mode.

The workaround to this limitation is if you have an EFIS that can provide Arinc 429 GPSS and GPSV steering data to the Vizion 385.

A Grand Rapids EFIS with the Arinc 429 option installed and wired to the TruTrak Vizion, can provide both the ILS localizer and glideslope steering data to the TruTrak Vizion and will give you the capability to fly an autopilot coupled ILS approach. GRT recommends installing a switch in the cockpit that allows you to select either the Garmin GNS430/650 or the GRT EFIS as the A429 input to the TruTrak AP. Other mfg's EFIS may also provide this capability.

Isaac -- thanks much!

Yes, I had read that in the manual, and my hangar neighbor, who has GRT EFISs, says that is what he does. ---- you just confirmed my concern. I am planning a 10" EFIS, in the near future for my -6A, so I will research all of the options.

Back